Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Which Blind???

Old 07-15-2003, 04:04 PM

Default Which Blind???

Which ground blind do you think is the best for the price? I am looking into the Ameristep Doghouse and the Game tracker Pop- up blind and wondering what you thought of these two. Thanks
Old 07-16-2003, 05:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Which Blind???

The Doghouse is excellent for 2 hunters . The current Sportsmans Guide Hunting Gear catalog has them for $69 . I own the Outhouse version and simply adore it . They also have that one for $49 . [8D]
Old 07-20-2003, 08:05 PM

Kevin, I also seen the blinds in the Sportsman guide. Any pro' s or con' s over the Outhouse/dog house. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:59 PM

i have a doghouse.love it i have killed turkey out of it and one deer.great blind
Old 07-21-2003, 06:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Millsy ,
while the Outhouse is billed as able to hold 2 hunters I would not have more than one in it . I sit on a folding stool in mine and there isn' t enough room for 2 gun hunters in my opinion , bowhunters would be too cramped to shoot . The Doghouse is shorter I think , but wider . It weighs only 4 lbs more than the Outhouse , so it' s still very easy to pack . I just got my new improved Outhouse Fri. , but haven' t had a chance to air it out yet because of my daughter' s wedding Sat. If space is not an issue either one will work fine . When I bought my first one I had looked at a lot of them , but some of the prices were just ridiculous . Ameristep makes a very good product and they cost more at other catalog sites . I paid $79 for my first one , got the new one for $49 . Love that Sportsmans Guide ! [8D]
Old 07-21-2003, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the input. I think I' m going to go with the dog house. (I really want to get my son out there this year)
Old 07-28-2003, 01:17 PM

Kevin1, thanks for the info on your experience with these blinds. Glad to know that the Outhouse would probably be too small to come to full draw with a bow. I am most likely going to get myself the Doghouse. Is the model that the Sportsman' s Guide sell the TSC model? I would guess that for the price that it isn' t. If not in your opinion do you think its worth the extra money to get the TSC model elsewhere? The cost difference I am seeing is about $50. I found the Doghouse TSC for 119 vs 69 for the one Sportsman' s Guide is sellling. Thanks!

' bote
Old 07-29-2003, 06:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Rowebote ,
the Outhouse model could take one bowhunter , and has room for a full draw . Two bowhunters would be crowded , as would 2 gun hunters IMO . The Doghouse advertised is the latest model if that' s what you mean by TSC , both are made by Ameristep . If you can find it cheaper than that price I' d say go for it . My original Outhose cost me $79 from the same source , it now cost $49 . The Doghouse was originally introduced at over $150 a few years ago , and now costs $69 . Check the site for further info on model and features . I do know that the new Doghouse features the " Re-leaf" edging , among many other fine features .
Old 07-29-2003, 01:15 PM

Slate I know they are alot of money, but the Double Bull is THE finest blind on the market. My brother is a dealer and we have the option of using any, but the DB is LIGHTYEARS ahead of the competition and flatout WORKS! For turkey hunting they are plain cheating, lol. Turkeys dont pay them 1 iota of attention. The first two mornings of MO spring season this year my father-in-law and myself had two 23#ers on the ground within half an hour of daylight. We were 100yds from the edge of the woods, right out in the middle of a hilltop pasture that is a strutting zone. No brush, no calls, one decoy and two dead birds!
During bowseason lastyear I had a 145" 8ptr here in TN at 12 steps from my blind. Was early Oct and the leaves were still green. I simply backed the blind up under some overhanging oak branches on a beanfield edge and " watched in amazement" . I too have small kids and my oldest (7) likes to go and sit in a easy chair while playing his Gameboy. The black interior of the DB makes clothing color and movement a non issue. In fact during the hot early season lastyear, when I hunted from the blind I wore a black Tshirt (am a Harley rider so I have TONS of em, lol).
Many times I have had birds land on the blind. And squirrels will jump on it as well (scares the CHIT out of ya if you arent expecting it!). The DB doesnt reflect light like the " plastic" Doghouse and wind doesnt cause it to move around or flap. In fact the wind must be over appx 20mph before staking the DB down is even necessary. Most other " lightweights" or vinyl/plastic blinds will topple if you breath on them.
The shoot thru netting over the windows is REALLY awesome as well. Getting drawn (and having someone film it as well) is easy with this option. Its the closest thing to " being invisible" I have ever seen in nearly 20 years of chasing critters!!!

Good luck and hunting with your lil ones takes it to ANOTHER level for ones self!
RA
Old 07-30-2003, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

I have the Outhouse and I also have a new Doghouse at $69 from Sportsman' s guide. I purchased the original Doghouse for $149, so I' m thinking I got a steal. The new one has the leafy camo and the black interior lining. What a deal!!! You can easily hunt 2 in the Doghouse and Bowhunt. I would only hunt 1 in the Outhouse and I can' t draw a bow in it without fully opening the back side. Just my thoughts!!!

Quick Reply: Which Blind???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.