Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Questions on the Garmin Dakota and Oregon?

Old 08-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Spike

Default Questions on the Garmin Dakota and Oregon?

I currently own older etrex and would like to upgrade to something newer and better. I have narrowed down my search to the Dakota and the Oregon. I like the Oregon because some models come with topo maps preloaded(my local sporting goods store is selling the dakota in a bundle pack that comes with downloads for several topo maps) however, I like the Dakota because of the price and it's screen seems to be more visible in direct sunlight. I have also heard that the Oregon views it's topo maps in 3D, is this any better than the standard topo maps? Which would you recommend?
Old 08-22-2010, 07:00 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I have quite a few Garmins as I have one each in my Trucks, one in my Boat, a few hand helds and now one I use on my dogs.

Garmin continues to improve its products but the nice thing is the older models (while some are no longer supported) still work and work well.

Currently my hand held is the Astro because of my dogs but I do like my Nuvi in my Truck and that has 3D. But you can turn off the 3D and go to 2D if yo wish.

I bought the 100K Garmin Topo program and have not been disapointed. I did have MapQuest Topo I used for yrs and tha is why I updated.

I have looked at the new Gramins but they don't offer much more than what I already have.

What I do suggest - is buy the one that allows you to expand the memory via a data card of some sorts. I was not impressed with much with the preloaded at all. I found I got more use if I cold add on.

JW