Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Tree Saddle

Old 04-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Spike

Default Tree Saddle

just wondering if anyone uses one of these, i have one and love it as soon as i got mine i sold my climber, this has all the pro's and non of the con's that have to do with tree stands. IMO
So what do you all think?

pic of me in mine

Last edited by m98jack; 04-13-2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: forgot pic
Old 04-14-2010, 05:49 AM
Spike

I am a huge fan of the tree saddle. I have 2 and a loaner that I loan out to let others try. It is by far the best piece of hunting equipment I own.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:44 AM
Spike

Is it comfortable? Man it just looks uncomfortable to me. I guess you know best since you have one. Seems like it would be hard to steady for a shot.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Dominant Buck

I watched a video of a guy and his kid hunting from Tree Saddles, the kid was swaying the whole time. Unless you have your feet braced on a large limb or the trunk how do you hold steady enough to shoot? It also seems overpriced considering that it's little more than a cheaply constructed Petzl rig. Reminds me of the crappy fall arrest harnesses they package with tree stands these days.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Cajun Executioner
Is it comfortable? Man it just looks uncomfortable to me. I guess you know best since you have one. Seems like it would be hard to steady for a shot.

They are extremely comfortable, I prefer it to a normal stand in terms of comfort.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by kevin1
I watched a video of a guy and his kid hunting from Tree Saddles, the kid was swaying the whole time. Unless you have your feet braced on a large limb or the trunk how do you hold steady enough to shoot? It also seems overpriced considering that it's little more than a cheaply constructed Petzl rig. Reminds me of the crappy fall arrest harnesses they package with tree stands these days.

They are easy to use and steady for a shot once you have practice with them. I personally put both knees against the tree and I am rock solid. Once you learn how to transfer your weight you will have no problems holding steady.

There is a lot more to it then a simple stap. They have metal connectors weight rated for 500lbs, they have extra straps that are included (a lineman's belt, and a safety strap(the main one used to tie into the tree)), a pouch that comes with the saddle, and the saddle itself.

While I will agree they are spendy, they are very much worth the money that is charged. I have the leather saddle and the leather is a very soft, and durable leather.

They are definitely not for everyone but for those that buy enjoy them, they are a very good hunting tool. For places where you can't use a perminant stand, or public land where you have to walk long distances they are worth their weight in gold. Yes a climber can do it to but they are heavy and just as costly. You can get into trees with the saddle that you wouldn't even dream of doing with a climber.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Spike

05_sprcrw just about nailed it....

-in my opinion this are very comfortable, like sitting in a hammock all day.
-and i agree that they are pricey but well worth it, lets see tree saddle $230
-climber is 300 comes with cheap harness, so a good harness is around 150, so 450 if you go with a climber, but a climber cant do half the thing that a saddle can.
-as for steady shooting with alittle practice you can be just as steady in it as you are in a climber.
-i too put both knees against the tree and is very solid. they even sell pads but i havent needed them yet.
- and they are made to with stand the same weights that any climber can hold.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Points taken fellas, thanks!
Old 04-16-2010, 05:30 AM
Spike

No problem just trying to help answer concerns or questions others who are considering a saddle.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

are the straps for these things rated for a certain amount of time?. my fall restraint harnesses say to replace after 5 years. i gotta imagine being fabric it has a life expectancy with the stiching and all. if there gonna compare it to a climber stand its not really a fair comparison. an aluminum climber is probably gonna last a lifetime. looks like a young man contraption

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.