Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Lock-on treestands

Old 01-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Spike

Default Lock-on treestands

Does anyone produce a 'lock-on' treestand that doesn't use cables to support the foot platform? I ask b/c my 61 yr old father will not use one (mine) due to his bad knees and having to step over the cables to enter the stand; even if it's in a primo spot.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

He will climb up a tree but not step over a cable? Lower the stand so that he can step down onto it then??? Or a ladder stand? Or a ground blind atop of a hill?
Old 01-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not to be disrespectful, but to be more accurate, it sounds more like he doesn't have confidence in the cable. If so, I can understand that. Many years ago I recall looking at those thin cables and wondering "Those little cables are suppose to hold me while I'm 20ft. up a tree?" LOL!

Solocamcan had a idea, but instead of "lowering" the stand, just add one or two more steps and step down on the stand. You're suppose to do this anyway as it's more safe.

Loc-On treestand company went out of business, but then was back in the game! Look up "Loc-On" treestands. They have some models where the floor platform isn't help up by cable.

iSnipe
Old 01-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

yes....it's called a ladderstand.

Get him a ladderstand with a big platform, shooting rail, arm rests, flip up seat, and he'll feel like he's sitting in a lazyboy up there!

IMO ladderstands are a safer treestand, I really would like some in depth specifics on hunters who fall/die from treestand use.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Reading the post again, I'll have to agree on the ladderstand recommendation. I use them too and it's nice hunting out of them as you get ultimate feeling of security having 2 arm rests and a shooting rail in front of you.

The only complaint I have about them is sometimes I'd like to spread my knees apart to stretch and be comfortable... and most stands I see and use don't allow enough room to do that.

You know, Al Bundy style:

iSnipe
Attached Thumbnails Lock-on treestands-albundy.jpg  
Old 01-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Reading the post again, I'll have to agree on the ladderstand recommendation. I use them too and it's nice hunting out of them as you get ultimate feeling of security having 2 arm rests and a shooting rail in front of you.

The only complaint I have about them is sometimes I'd like to spread my knees apart to stretch and be comfortable... and most stands I see and use don't allow enough room to do that.

You know, Al Bundy style:

iSnipe
the closest stand to that I've found is river's edge 17ft. XL, from now on I think it's all I'll buy, til something better comes along. I bought the regular 17' model and its very nice, but the XL is wider...I think AL bundy would dig it...plan to pick a couple up sometime before next season, missed a great deal before season on them. worth it though whether you get em for 100 or 180.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not a big fan of ladder stands, strictly because of height restrictions. I like to be 20+ feet high and a lock-on, permanent stand or my self climber, allows me to do just that.

The point made about stepping down into the stand is valid. You must always put your steps 3-4 feet above the actual stand and step down into it. It's not only safer but also much easier. The cables are then not much of a factor. You and your Dad can practice this at much lower heights.

I also use my self climber and cables are never an issue here. Most climbers today are designed to climb in a sitting position. Also very safe.

Just so you know, I hunt from a treestand 90% of the time. I also have a knee that acts up, from too many hockey games over the years and I happen to be older than your Dad. If he can find a setup that he feels comfortable and safe, that would be great. If not, let him make that decision.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Jimmy S; 01-01-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:15 AM
Typical Buck

I have 2 summits that are hang ons. I think they are called copper heads. They utilize a completely different system than the cable system. I dont think they are available anymore, but you might be able to find them used.

These guys make a ladderstand that goes almost 18 feet. http://www.gomuddy.com/shopping/Depa...DER-STAND.aspx

They also make a very nice and lighweight harness. http://www.gomuddy.com/shopping/Depa...d-Harness.aspx

If you are looking for a comfortable and wide stand that goes 20 feet take a look at this one.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true

Heres a 22 foot ladder, although it doesnt look as nice as the XL.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...0068162418892a
Old 01-02-2010, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jimmy S
I'm not a big fan of ladder stands, strictly because of height restrictions. I like to be 20+ feet high and a lock-on, permanent stand or my self climber, allows me to do just that.

The point made about stepping down into the stand is valid. You must always put your steps 3-4 feet above the actual stand and step down into it. It's not only safer but also much easier. The cables are then not much of a factor. You and your Dad can practice this at much lower heights.

I also use my self climber and cables are never an issue here. Most climbers today are designed to climb in a sitting position. Also very safe.

Just so you know, I hunt from a treestand 90% of the time. I also have a knee that acts up, from too many hockey games over the years and I happen to be older than your Dad. If he can find a setup that he feels comfortable and safe, that would be great. If not, let him make that decision.

Good Luck!
I think team realtree makes a 22 ft ladder stand called the skyscraper
Old 01-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Spike

Default Sportsmans Guide

Check out Sportsmans Guide. They have some great looking ladder stands that are plenty tall enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.