Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Lock-on treestands

Old 01-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Spike

Thank you for the replies. When I wrote this post I was wondering if anyone made a "lock-on" that did not use cables to support the foot platform, but had support from below the platform. To me, the cables are an "obstruction" when entering the stand (yes, my sticks are 3-4 ft above the platform). I've drawn-up 4 plans of a stand that have either "drop-down" arms or an "L-bracket" for support from below the platform thus removing the 'obstruction' of the cables. I just don't have the materials nor the equipment to produce something of this nature.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by littlekid
Thank you for the replies. When I wrote this post I was wondering if anyone made a "lock-on" that did not use cables to support the foot platform, but had support from below the platform. To me, the cables are an "obstruction" when entering the stand (yes, my sticks are 3-4 ft above the platform). I've drawn-up 4 plans of a stand that have either "drop-down" arms or an "L-bracket" for support from below the platform thus removing the 'obstruction' of the cables. I just don't have the materials nor the equipment to produce something of this nature.

I know several hunters around here that use this stand without the seat:
http://climaxstands.com/climax_tree_stands.html
Old 01-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Spike

Thank you VAhuntr, I knew somebody had already produced a version of what I was looking for, except for the seat supports being in the way...'obstacle'.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by littlekid
Thank you VAhuntr, I knew somebody had already produced a version of what I was looking for, except for the seat supports being in the way...'obstacle'.

Unless the company has changed the design, the seat and supports attach to the base with a bolt and a removeable pin. If I remember correctly they would install the seat after they had hung the stand.

Here is another company that makes a stand like that.....I saw these at a hunting show several years back and they looked to be top quality.

http://www.deerhuntertreestands.com/...s//lockon2.jpg
Old 01-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Spike

Thanks again VAhuntr. I took a look at the second site you posted and it reminded me of several climbers my father made (when I was younger) from bridge steel. These things were HEAVY (probably 50lbs.), but when put on a tree....talk about room (usable foot platform 2.5' x 3') and security. Being a physicist, by training, my father was able to make these BEASTS balanced enough, once attached to a tree, climbing was a breeze. These things would fit around a tree, anywhere from 12" to 3' in diameter. He still has them but are currently being used a outboard motor stands and other support stands in his garage.