Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Hand held GPS unit suggestions..

Old 01-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Spike

I also have a Garmin, don't know the type exactly but I'm very happy with it.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Spike

I'm from the Northeast and I have 2 Garmin etrex legends. They work great when they want. Any heavy cover or really bad weather they lose the satelite signal often and you look like the statue of liberty in the woods. The newer Hcx models are supposed to have a much better antenna and work better with heavy cover. The original works well when moving quickly through the woods on atv but at a walking/hunting pace it would lose reception if under trees for too long. I would recommend it if you already have a basic idea of where you are going or hunt open areas. it is a good reference guide because it is very accurate. You can buy them cheap(under $100) if you froogle.com search it. If you hunt thick large areas look at the hcx.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by duckdogf32
I'm from the Northeast and I have 2 Garmin etrex legends. They work great when they want. Any heavy cover or really bad weather they lose the satelite signal often and you look like the statue of liberty in the woods. The newer Hcx models are supposed to have a much better antenna and work better with heavy cover. The original works well when moving quickly through the woods on atv but at a walking/hunting pace it would lose reception if under trees for too long. I would recommend it if you already have a basic idea of where you are going or hunt open areas. it is a good reference guide because it is very accurate. You can buy them cheap(under $100) if you froogle.com search it. If you hunt thick large areas look at the hcx.
its scary when you go under a tree with leaves and it goes off on signal.i hate that.i have garmin legend for 90 dollars on e-bay used.bid on used one .sometimes price is lot cheaper than new.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by duckdogf32
We should start getting better reception in forested areas now that they are starting to launch the Block III space vehicles.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:07 AM
Spike

I use a Garmin 60Csx. Havent had a problem with it even in heavy cover or in my jeep. Really easy to use after a little playing with. Also very durable, it survived a fall from the roof of my Jeep at 40mph (I forgot I had put it up there). Went back to find it was only minorly scratched. The etrex are very good too for the money. I have a couple buddy's who have them and are glad they purchased them.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:56 AM
Spike

I have a vista hcx and venture hc. The venture has limited memory and no electronic compass but was and is still useful. I like the electronic compass on my vista, mostly for the fact that I can show the gps to my hunting/hiking partner and the screen won't jump around.

You don't have to pay for maps, gpsdepot has free ones you can download and put on your gps. I even have the local maps on my venture, since it doesn't hold as much I can't put the whole SEusa map on it but I can put the hunt club and area I live.

Be aware that some of the information you get may not be correct, like the odometer. The slower you walk the more error there will be. It's not really a big deal as long as you are aware, some people get all bent out of shape though. A gps is just a tool with some limitations, just like any other tool. If you practice with it when you are hiking and walking, you will become familier with it, and it will be more useful to you when you need it.

I save my tracks and use a website called gpsvisualiser to project those tracks on satillite maps. I save and print them too. I save a "waypoint" whenever I find some kind of interesting feature, like tracks and bedding areas. Next year it will be even easier to put my stands in good spots! Plus it helps me stay out of the way of others.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:08 AM
Spike

Also, take the time to experiment and learn all the features. I know people that only look at the map page because they don't know how to do anything else. You should be able to save a waypoint, find a waypoint, save and follow tracks, at a bare minimum. If I am in "uncharted" territory I will clear my tracklog, then let it save the track while I walk. I then save the track, keeping in mind that it will save everywhere I have walked. If I save it before I track back, it will make a nice uncluttered path on the map that I make, and on the gps.

One of the really nice things is being able to bushwhack to get to my stand, or back to the truck, without wandering around too much.

Always bring spare batteries. I have a lot of rechargables because I use them in my headlamps, gps's and cameras. I always have spares. The vista has much better battery life than my venture, something to keep in mind.

Also be aware that they can fail so don't get too dependant on them. The area I hunt is not that large so the risk of getting lost is slim to none. I use my gps for uses other than gettng lost, it can pinpoint something, which a compass can't do, and I like it for that. Also, an area will look a lot differant in the winter than it does in the summer. The gps will let me know where a good spot, or a stand is, when the landmarks change.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:30 AM
Spike

make sure whatever you buy it has a electrical compass
Old 02-07-2010, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

best way to learn a gps is in winter with snow.this way if it does fail, you can follow your tracks back to truck. carry compass also.

in fall here in pa archery hunting or grouse they are disaster.
the leaves on trees will cause you almost to go in your pants when signal goes out.
if going to a strange area in fall, ONLY DO IT IN MORNING AS IT GIVES YOU REST OF DAY TO FIND YOUR WAY OUT.....
always carrying your compass and check where your truck is before going in and a MAP of area, always carry that because it will help a lot on hollows you are in etc.

here in pa. its almost impossible to get lost with hollows and trails now.you will hit something.where people get in trouble is going into area near dark without flashlight or compass.having flashlight/compass,no way you are going to get lost in dark .
Old 02-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

Im a big fan of garmin gps units. Ive had real good luck with the garmin oregon it has tons of memory and its real easy to use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.