Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

bowhunting climber

Old 11-29-2009, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Summit Goliath. Right at 100 hours in it so far this year for me. Plenty of good naps..lol.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Spike

Bought the summit openshot this year and it is a great bow stand. No gunrail so you can get those close shots if you are caught sitting and can't move. The flip up seat is nice if you want to stand and have plenty of room. Light weight, easy to climb, quiet. Only thing I would recommend would be to sand the paint off the teeth with a dremel or sander.( makes it climb even the slippery stuff easily)
Old 12-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

I do really enjoy my Summit Viper.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Another plug for the Summit Viper Goliath model!!
Old 12-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I traded off my Summitt Viper SS for a Lone Wolf Sit and Climb. I like the Lone Wolf much better.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

I bought a treewalker a couple years ago after lugging the Ol Many around for years. The treewalker is about 18 lbs and has the net seat and rated 350 lbs for us abnormally large folks. Very stable in the tree and easy to climb with. The best stand I've ever owned and I've had the Baker (shows how old I am), Amackker, Summit in which broke with me and Ol Man.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

we talk about weight of stands.we dont haul our stands around daily.we hide them in woods and cable lock them to tree in thick cover nearour tree we use.
my advice is this. get the biggest seat/platform you can no matter how much it weights. bigger is better. for price the SUMMIT 180 max and golaith ss is best. i like 180 best because i can face tree and nice seat.
if you cant sit in it all day or its not stable stand, its going to be very bad.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Spike

Lone Wolf Climber
Old 01-16-2010, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The Things not said in the Advertising

There have been and are some good tree stands on the market. But no tree stand is perfect. Hunters are different, very different.

A tree stand might be great for a 25 year old, and not so good for the 40 year old.
Some hunters can put their backside on a 18 or 19 inch seat; for others it would be a physical impossibility.
Some hunters are fit to carry a 20 lb. tree stand, a rifle or bow and a small backpack a thousand yards. Some might have a bad back or are so out of shape, crossing the back yard, with that load, would be impossible.

Some hunters have a real fear of heights and would be uncomfortable at a height where they would look on the stand as a postage size conveyance. Advertising doesn't get into that.
Some are more comfortable with a bar across the seat and front. For some, some tree stands look as open as high dive swimming platforms. Great for some to perform their swan dive.

Some tree stands are too small and tiny for some hunters; as some tree stands are too big and heavy. And if you're over 300 pounds someone has a tree stand for you. You don't need a doctor's permission.

And paratrooper harnesses. And a mountaineering rope, so you can repel from atop a tree. And everybody knows all tree climbing hunters are fit to do ten or twenty push ups easily.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default stands

you are right,we are all different.one thing i learned as you get older,MORE ROOM WHICH MEANS MORE COMFORT is no.1 to me.yes, you can say weight of stand is no. 1 but if its that heavy, i will use cart to haul it around.i need cart anyhow to haul my buck out.so to me,weight of few pounds difference is not problem.
without knowing a lot about climbing stand, if i weigh say 210 pds and my stand was rated for 250,i would still go to one that is rated for 300/350..
so bigger to me to certain degree is better.
lately you can see that summit is going bigger with new TITAN.even small hunters are buying it and like more room even tho it may not be best size for what they want to do.
its like LONE WOLF stands,unless you get real wide one in seat it is not comfortable.then you have to get the SUMMIT surround seat to make it a great stand.
you could get SUMMIT stands with surround seat but they are little heavier by 2 pds or so but over 100 dollars cheaper.
both have different things that we like or dislike including price and both are very safe stands from what i read.
i am buying the SUMMIT 180 MAX as of now unless someone changes my mind.the price may be $259 on monday.dont know yet.
i am not fan of climbing stand having it so easy with my ladderstands but the LS is not working anymore on publicland here in wmu2g and i have to be able to move quick if i am going to get chance at buck now with herd reduction .

so i hope the climber is going to be good thing for me .we had 2 local guys die this year with climbing stands. both did not have safety belt on and both fell asleep and fell out both DID NOT HAVE RAIL ON FRONT.i am getting the RAIL on mine no ifs buts or ands and using my safety harness.
these deaths make you a little worried and both were younger than me......
if anyone wants to chime in if i am making a good move or bad one, feel free to comment.will make my decision easier as i was never a fan of climbing treestands................

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.