Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Boots??? Itasca??

Old 10-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Spike

Default Boots??? Itasca??

Hi, im looking for a pair of warm water proof boots to deer hunt with upstate ny in november. I found these
Itasca Waterproof 2,000 gram Thinsulate Ultra Insulation Cheyenne Boots, Mossy Oak

For 80 bucks they seem nice anyone have any experience with them or can recomend something else that will keep my feet warm.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

i had the itascas for a few years and loved them except getting them on and off thought i broke my ankle on more than one occasion ... thought i killed my wife one night when she went flying with the boot between her knees..... now i have some muck boots and they are well worth the money ... warm quiet ... comfortable.. rated from +40 tooo -40.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

2000 gms. is a lot. May be too warm walking but o.k. for sitting.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

the itascas are very heavy and in my opinion that much insulation is too much. You will sweat and then get very very cold
Old 10-10-2009, 04:24 AM
Spike

Im looking at a few different boots from 1000,1600,2000 grams of thinsilate. My feet do get cold when im sitting so I want something that will keep them nice and warm, on the other hand I dont want to go to was and have my feet soaked in sweat. Ill be useing them in some pretty cool weather maybe 20 degrees inthe morning and walking in snow... what do you all use in that kind of weather. Im leaning toward the 1600's cause its right in the middle but the 2000's really wont cost much more and dont want to regret it later.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

honestly i use mucks woodymax. I have hunted many 20 degree mornings and i would wear liner, reg, and a pair of wool socks and i was very comfortable. That said i have some waders that are 1600s and I sweat bad in them even with only liner and reg socks. I have never had any boots that high insulated. If you don't have alot of water I would recommend a good pair of lace up. 1200 would be plenty, and lacrosse makes a great pair. ANYTHING will be warmer than rubber. (If you don't have liners, get some. Cheap accessory that will wick the sweat away from your feet.)