Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Bug repellant Cover scent?

Old 09-20-2009, 08:11 AM
Spike

Default Bug repellant Cover scent?

Is there any product out there that is a repellant but also a cover scent, the bugs are terrible out in the swamp in wisconsin right now and at the rate im going ill never be able to hunt comfortably untill cold temps. thanks whitney
Old 09-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used No Stinkin Bugs with good results.

http://robinsonoutdoors.com/catalog/...cPath=34_58_66
Old 09-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thermocell has earth scent pads.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

To get a product that repels bugs, smells like some sort of outdoor cover scent, that will outwit a deers nose, sounds unfeasible.

Now if someone were to step and say they had good results with "X" product, my guess is that the wind had more to play in it than the product's ingredients. I thought about it too, but a deer's nose is so sensitive, I don't think masking the chemicals would be a likely chance.

I'd say get about any product that repels the bugs; yeah maybe a cover-up, but go in and hunt only when the wind is right.

They have powders(Smoke In A Bottle) one can use on stand to determine wind direction, but to me they only work for a few yards before they dissipate to the point where it can't be seen anymore. I really like wind floaters. Knight & Hale makes one. It comes in a flat/round container with a small hole on top. Some fuzz/lint/fiber sticks out the top. You grab a little and pull on it and it dispenses... sort of like handi-wipes. Take the piece and let it go in the air and you can watch it for a long ways. Then you'll get a better idea what the wind is doing as it passes by you.

iSnipe
Old 09-24-2009, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iSnipe
To get a product that repels bugs, smells like some sort of outdoor cover scent, that will outwit a deers nose, sounds unfeasible.

Now if someone were to step and say they had good results with "X" product, my guess is that the wind had more to play in it than the product's ingredients. I thought about it too, but a deer's nose is so sensitive, I don't think masking the chemicals would be a likely chance.

I'd say get about any product that repels the bugs; yeah maybe a cover-up, but go in and hunt only when the wind is right.

They have powders(Smoke In A Bottle) one can use on stand to determine wind direction, but to me they only work for a few yards before they dissipate to the point where it can't be seen anymore. I really like wind floaters. Knight & Hale makes one. It comes in a flat/round container with a small hole on top. Some fuzz/lint/fiber sticks out the top. You grab a little and pull on it and it dispenses... sort of like handi-wipes. Take the piece and let it go in the air and you can watch it for a long ways. Then you'll get a better idea what the wind is doing as it passes by you.

iSnipe
You have a valid point but have you ever smelled the earth scented repellent from "No Stinkin Bugs"? I was actually suprised. I will admit I have no clue how deer react when they smell the stuff but I have killed a bunch of deer while wearing it. I try to play the wind whenever I deer hunt so I am sure that plays a part in it as well.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
You have a valid point but have you ever smelled the earth scented repellent from "No Stinkin Bugs"?
No, never smelled it. Not saying it doesn't work, just that I highly don't think so since the deer's nose is so good!

I'd say a great way to test that alone is to make a visible scrape on a deer trail and spray it in the dirt. Of course one will be in a treestand nearby to observe. That'll give you an idea of what the deer think of it! A video camera would work too

I dress up scrapes a lot and watch the deer's reaction to different lures, etc.

iSnipe
Old 09-24-2009, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thermacell.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bugsNbows
Thermacell.
I wouldn't hunt without mine. I don't care if it did scare a few deer away(which it doesn't). I'm not sitting in a tree stand being miserable from bugs biting me the whole time. This device is worth it's weight in gold in the Florida swamps.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:03 AM
Spike

I am going to try my thermacell this year. I have tried No Stinking Bugs and thought that the smell was strong myself. So if it bothers me, then I am sure the deer were smelling it also. I have to admit also, that I did not get bit while wearing it, I did not see any deer also.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Spike

ya thermacell works for me to

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.