Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

i need some help please

Old 09-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Spike

Default i need some help please

alright to start off im a very young and unexperienced hunter. i bow hunt and rifle hunt. i live in alabama if that helps any. i have a few questions to start with: i wanna plant a pretty good food plot but dont know when a good time is, whats the best kind of seed to use, how do you pick a good spot to set up a ladder stand, what are some good tips to make me a sucessful hunter? thanks for any help
Old 09-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Spike

sorry posted this in the wrong spot gonna repost though
Old 09-14-2009, 04:13 AM
Fork Horn

On our hunting club plots we plant soy and oats mixture in August. I live in Georgia so this should work for you in Alabama.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:33 AM
Spike

does that bring the deer in pretty good?
Old 09-14-2009, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Turnips work good for a late season plot. Don't know if they grow in your area.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

This late in the year though, I'm not sure just what you could get established in time. I would probably go for Winter Wheat.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by deerdust
This late in the year though, I'm not sure just what you could get established in time. I would probably go for Winter Wheat.
well i know that most people plant mid september that i know of around my area. i was thinking more like clover or oat but idk for sure yet i wanna do alittle research which i shouldve done awhile ago if i wanted everything to be on time.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

I wasn't taking into account that you are further south and have a longer growing season.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:54 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by deerdust
I wasn't taking into account that you are further south and have a longer growing season.
yeah but i have no idea what to plant and im running outta time very fast
Old 09-18-2009, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

Another thing, planting year round makes more sense. If you do that deer will come in and feed in the plots and leave distinct trails where they come and go. Instead of placing your stand overlooking the fields, place them 50 to 100 yards away from the fields overlooking the trails leading to the fields. Thats the way I do it and it works well for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.