Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Women's Hunting Clothing?

Old 09-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default Women's Hunting Clothing?

So my girlfriend has decided to take the WI hunter's safety course needless to say I'm pretty excited I've turned her over to the good side. Here's my dilemma... she wants to hunt turkeys in the spring and perhaps maybe move on to deer in the WI winter and I've been looking for some women's camo to get her but it seems like there is a limited selection out there. I was thinking of getting something uninsulated that she could wear layers underneath during the deer season along w/ a blaze orange safety vest. I've checked Cabela's, BP, Sportsmans Guide and haven't found much that fits my college budget. We're heading to Gander and Fleet Farm tomorrow just to look at some stuff, but are there any other sites or stores anybody can suggest? It's beginning to look like we'll have to just get some men's clothing in a small, which is hard enough to find as it is. If you have any suggestions please let me know as she and I will greatly appreciate it! Thanks
Old 09-07-2009, 02:19 AM
Fork Horn

Dicks Sporting Goods, Bass Pro Shop, Gander Mountain, Cabelas are your best choices.
Farm King, Farm fleet would be other places to try
Old 09-07-2009, 04:38 AM
Typical Buck

It has been my experience that as of right now the womens hunting line of clothes is a niche market. While there are more gals hunting today, statisically they are still a small number. Therefore the cheap wally worlds are not gonna stock womens hunting clothes on the cheap. You will find them at the specialty outdoor stores. And they will be fairly costly too.

Get her into good fitting clothes. It will make the experience more enjoyable. Having to wear mens clothes that are ill-fitting might be just enough to ruin the experience and make you hunting buddy change her mind about next year. Not sure where you are at, but it is pretty difficult in my state to get spring turkey gear and winter deer gear to mesh even with layering, but that is just my opinion. Plus (and I am not bragging, so don't take it that way) I can afford seasonal gear now. Back when I was in college I could not, so I understand your plight.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

"She Safari" is the main line I see on the Outdoor Channel.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:44 AM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

I can relate. I'm a very small female (chld size actually).

If you need to keep the cost down, consider this. For turkeys, you will likely be sitting in a blind situation. Go to a fabric store and buy some camo material. Fashion it into a poncho to cover what you're wearing.

They've found that blaze orange shows up as a brilliant gray to deer. So camo might not be all that necessary if you just wear drab clothing. No bluejeans though. Deer can see blue and blue is very rare in the woods.

Cabelas has a great selection of stuff in women's and children's sizes, but they're not cheap. My husband wears military surplus which he gets for peanuts. But I have to buy children's stuff which costs a bundle. On the plus side, you only have to buy it once every ten or fifteen years. They don't change styles every year. Well, actually they do but it makes no difference since the animals don't care if you're wearing last years camo.

May The Sheep Be With You
Old 09-10-2009, 06:09 AM
Typical Buck

It is pricey stuff but Ravenswear clothing is really nice stuff for the cold weather. My wife loses interest quick when she gets cold so for me to spend the extra $ to keep her warm, content and sitting still the gear is worth it and it will last a long time. Another option is the Cabelas fleece gear in layers which is what I wear but it isn't as warm as my wife's gear but then the cold don't bother me like it does her. SHE Safari gear is more complimentary to a woman's figure and I like seeing my wife in her upland brush pants but the pair of pants is $80 and a long sleeved Upland shirt is $58. Their lightweight camo gear is reasonably priced $40 pants $45 shirt.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Spike

There is a new line of women's hunting clothes that was started in 2008. It is quality hunting gear made specifically just for the female hunter. It's called Prois Hunting Apparel. It is great gear for layering. You can find it at
http://www.westelkoutdoors.com. Hope this helps.