Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Best wool hunting coat-- update!

Old 08-13-2009, 11:24 AM

Default Best wool hunting coat-- update!

Hi friends, I was looking through the threads in the gear review, and read one aboutthe best wool hunting coat...there was a vote for Filson, and I have to agree that my Filson Timber Mackinaw is tops (though I also like my Columbia Monarch Pass jacket and my Cabelas Outfitter Wool). ANYWAY, wanted to let you know that Filson has discontinued its Timber Mackinaw line, so now you can only get it in red/black plaid or solid colors...too bad, it was a seriously good coat.

You might be able to find one on Ebay for a month or so, but I think they are disappearing fast. Just thought I'd let you know.

Also, if you get the Columbia Monarch Pass jacket, think about going with what they call snow camo. It isn't brown and stark white, more of a grayish white and brown, which I think breaks up your pattern more than a pattern with little or no light colors in it. Its not Filson, but its a good value.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Johnson Woolen Mills and or Beagle Wear are tops here in the Northeast.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Johnson Woolen Mills and or Beagle Wear are tops here in the Northeast.
I got rid of all that chinese made hightech stuff and switched to Johnson wool. No regrets here.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

The old stand by: a woolrich wool coat. Simple as that may sound, i recently got one that was my grandfathers and i hunt in it all the time, and I can honestly say that this is the first year i havent been really cold on stand AT ALL. It works, trust me. lol
BigBuck95
Old 11-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Spike

Grey Wolf Woolens makes some good stuff as well.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by pats102862
I got rid of all that chinese made hightech stuff and switched to Johnson wool. No regrets here.
I always wear the green Johnson Wool pants and get several seasons out of them. My standard coat is a Johnson green and black checked with a felt lining on the body but not the arms. I do wear an orange vest and if really cold wear an insulated vest under the coat and or an extra layer for the arms. Quiet and warm works for me. They are even warm when wet but do get heavy. The Beagle Wear is made in VT too and is the next generation of woolen wear. Great stuff but pricey. I plan on getting some of that when the Johnson stuff starts to wear.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:52 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
The Beagle Wear is made in VT too and is the next generation of woolen wear. Great stuff but pricey.

Its no more pricy than that browning hydrosuede stuff I bought several years back. And that junk started falling apart after it was 4 years old.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

Cough cough WOOLRICH Cough cough
Old 12-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Spike

Sleeping Indian wool, love the stuff
Old 12-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love my Beagle Wear coat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.