Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

In vehicle gun storage...

Old 07-22-2009, 06:45 AM

Default In vehicle gun storage...

I am wondering what kinds of products most hunters use for vehicle transport of long guns (gunracks, cargo cabinets, etc.) likes and dislikes. Do most put their hardcased weapons in the back seat or are many using soft cased and loose gun mounting options? Are there any suggestions of products out there or not existing? How do you currently transport your weapons? Does anyone use overhead mounting options? Also, what do you do with an open bed truck as far as weather issues?

Thanks,
Michael
Old 07-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

i transport most of mine in the rear seat of my truck. i wish i could afford that "in bed" storage system that is advertised on the Outdoor Channel all the time. the one that is made of steel boxes that utilize roller bearing to have slide out drawers. it is lockable and water proof yet still durable enough to put a ATV on top.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:55 AM

Default Thanks for the input....

Yeah the in bed truck system looks very durable, and usefull especially in Mossy Oak camo. I was wondering, when in your vehicle, do you use soft cases or hard cases for your guns? Most of my buddies only use hard cases in fear of bumping their guns around and letting moisture get to them? Also, what type of vehicle do you typically use to get to the sight?

Thanks,

Michael
Old 07-23-2009, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I keep mine always in a hard case. Doen't matter if i am traveling in my car I put them in the back floor to ,my quad I have a carrier hard case. I don't like the u shaped rack carry systems as the guns will get muddy and banged around on the quad. I figure if a deer jumps out on me I will never have a chance to get the gun loaded and into a shooting poistion no matter how it is carried. I only travel at dark to posts the rest of the time the gun is in my hands.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:10 AM

Default Thanks for the input....

When traveling to a sight do you usually bring just one or how many different guns? I guess this depends on how many guys are going with. Usually two in my world. And what kind of vehicle do you use to haul the quad?

Thanks,

Michael