Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

tinks 69

Old 07-21-2009, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had better luck with code blue and urine from local Pa. whitetails last year.
Are you talking about bobkirschnerdeerlure.c? It's all I ever use.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have used almost ever scent in my area that you could buy. just to see what would happen over these years. i ahve found that the best scent is ...........drumroll please......... None. i have killed more bucks just playing the wind that i ever have with scent out.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Back in the late 1980's there was a lot written about mock scrapes, and several bowhunters wrote about their success. Two names I recall are Bob McGuire and Bob Fratzke. Both told us how to make scrapes and showed that they can work. Since that time, we haven't heard all that much about mock scrapes and I figure it is because guys tried making scrapes and didn't have much success.

Then in 1998 there was a study where Dr. Jim Kroll created mock scrapes and using cameras, recorded who came to those scrapes. There were four sets of mock scrapes; one set had hot doe urine, one with buck urine, one set with nothing in them, and one with human urine. I know that we all grew up being told that human urine scares deer. But my friend Charlie Alsheimer has urinated in scrapes for years with good results. Let's see what the results of this study showed.

Bucks visited scrapes with buck urine and human urine the most. Estrus doe urine and scrapes with no scent came in a close second. The researchers not only could not distinguish a statistical difference in visits to these scrapes, but they saw no difference in the age of bucks visiting these scrapes.

The next fall they made mock scrapes with buck urine, hot doe urine, no scent at all, and some with "new car scent" spray. New car scent spray? This should be interesting. However, bucks came to all four treatments. The fact that bucks came to new car scent spray and to mock scrapes with no scent was attributed to curiosity. Dr. Kroll found that almost as many does and fawns came to the scrapes as bucks. Does came more readily to the doe estrus urine than the other treatments, while bucks seemed to favor the estrus urine and the buck urine.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Most of the breeding takes place at night because we have spent weeks stomping around the woods during light making the deer do almost everything at night only briefly allowing opportunites at dawn or dusk during the night to day or day to night transition.
Why would you do that? Kinda stupid don't you think? I've shot plent of Bucks walking around at midday. You're really not saying that deer only move at dwan and dusk during the rut are you? You one of them guys, that spends midday in camp?

Check this out kinda goes against your way of thinking.

http://www.deertv.tv/deerchannel/art...eersoffice.pdf

Last edited by Charlie P; 07-21-2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: added link
Old 07-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot many deer however last year I scored my first deer due to a mock scrap. It only took me 25 years and I used Tinks 69 last year.

Here's my story and I am sticking to it. I was in a 20ft ladder stand overlooking a swamp and had a small deer screwing around in back of my stand. It kept me facinated for 10 minutes as I just observed it feeding. It was 50# and too small to shoot. Well when I finally turned around there was a 4 pointer 70 yards out playing with my scent dripper over a mock scrap. I thought this was a cake walk shot and blew it with my Omega. I could not believe I missed as I have taken much longer and more difficult shots and connected. Exactly 1 week later from the same stand I shot the deer at 110 yards-DRT. I credit the dripper for keeping the bucks interest as I set it up next to his bedding area. An older mature buck would not have give me a second chance.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

I have killed several bucks following my drag line with Tinks 69 on one of the two wicks...the other has a cheap doe urine (non-esterus).

The last one was at Fort Knox. The buck even caught me moving in my treestand, before dismissing me in favor of sticking his nose to the Tinks loaded wick.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:43 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Charlie P
Why would you do that? Kinda stupid don't you think? I've shot plent of Bucks walking around at midday. You're really not saying that deer only move at dwan and dusk during the rut are you? You one of them guys, that spends midday in camp?

Check this out kinda goes against your way of thinking.

http://www.deertv.tv/deerchannel/art...eersoffice.pdf
I never said they only move at dawn dusk and night. What I said was in regard to this... the majority of the movement after the season opens and deer are no longer relaxed -the greatest deer activity is at dawn , dusk and night. Most of the breeding takes place at night. I never said exclusively these times. We all have seen buck chasing during daytime hours (breeding and chasing are 2 different things). But why is the doe moving then? Because the buck is chasing her, When will she most likely allow him to breed? When she feels most secure since during this act she is most vulnerable to threats. How many doe have you seen being bred in the wild? I bet with the odds in my favor you have never seen a doe allow a buck to mount her and actually finish copulation in the wild. I am asking for your experience not someone elses that you watched on another website.

I am not arguing the fact that when a buck is in rut and has actually found a doe in estrus that he will not be active during the day. He will be active all day and all night resting very little during that time. Actually, a higher number of mature buck are shot during these daylight hours during the rut than any other time. The reason.... the mature bucks go nocturnal at slightest bit of pressure to reduce encounters with hunters, and the only way they will move during the day is if chased from bedding areas or they are in chase of a doe in estrus. Only one of these two movements is done out of want on the deer's part the other is done to escape and the deer only moves until it finds another safe spot to hide. They check scrape lines when searching not chasing and most of this activity is at night.

This basic concept is even evident in the uninformative hunting shows on tv. You see the hunters going to their stands when? Before first light and in the afternoon before dusk. When are most the deer filmed? The first and last 2 and 1/2 hours of light. When are most of the big bucks shot? In the evening.

I have hunted scrape lines during the rut for as long as I have been hunting- over 20 years. I spend on average 10 hours a day in my stand during the pre and post rut, during the rut I more often than not sat from first light till dark. With that many hours in the woods I know first hand the peak movement times and locations of the deer in the area I hunt, I also know which days will more often than not result in very little activity and on those days I sit until 10 or 11 and then go back out around 3. But then again I am also one of the guys that hunts nearly every single day of the season. I am not a guy at a hunting camp that only hunts 10 hours on saturdays. I already have 100's of hours invested in the 09 season and it's still 2 months away. So before you start bashing my commitment you better start doing some work for yourself instead of posting a link to someone elses work to disprove what hadn't been proposed in the first place.

But back to the point of this thread.... Tinks69 is low on the quality list. Sorry for getting off topic.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I echo 4everhtn. It was not unitl the late 1970's that I became what one might call a student of hunting deer. I am fortunate to live in a state where there are a lot of deer. And fortunate to have a situation where I can spend many, many hours scouting as well as hunting. A few years ago I got into the trail camera thing. While I am certainly not a wildlife biologist or a so called "professional hunter", I have come to several conclusions. Nocturnal activity of deer is more than I ever imagined once upon a time. Siting way past dark in stands and these trail cameras have clearly proven that fact. I have never once see deer breed, though I did see a buck attempt a mount. I am assuming from this, and based upon my time in the woods, that breeding takes place in more secluded, quieter, safer areas and probably after dark. I have not with any degree of certainty recorded all of the deer sightings I have made over the past 50 or so years, but here is what seems to be the correct recall. Good movement is around 30 minutes to 2 hours after daybreak. Then about a repeat 1-2 hours before "shooting" light is gone it is even better. There is another time of day that seems to me to be a great time to be out ... and I have a theory on this. From about 10:00 until about noon. I think that deer that are pressured hard can be "trained" to hunter habits - most guys I hunt with leave before daybreak and give up around 9:00 - 9:30 a.m. I have killed a bunch of deer, and my most of my most mature bucks, by sleeping late and then easing in very quetly, being set up in traditional travel areas at 9:30 or so., and staying until 14:00. However, if I were very limited to when I could hunt, it would be p.m.

As far as "rut" - does rule ! Once they start coming into heat, the bucks will search them out. I spend days and days hunting does wo that when they do come into heat, I am at least close to where they hang. This works. I don't lay on scrape lines day after day. I've fallen into that trap too many times, and long ago I gave that up as a norm. The trail cam shots I have confirm that practically all scraping activity by mature bucks, at least where I hunt, is done mid-night +/- 2 hours.

As far as moon-phase, I pay zero attention to that. My best buddy and I once upon a time kept 3 years of detailed rocords of what we saw and when. There was no relationship we noted to the phase of the moon. There was a definite direct relationship to cold weather and January estrus. And that was about it.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

You mentioned a tactic that I also use and that is waiting for other hunters to get up and start pushing deer because they are hungry, their butt is sore from sitting, they are cold or they just don't have any patience to sit any longer. Those guys have pushed more deer past me than anything else and I have taken a few nice(over 100") bucks that way and this was before AR in PA.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

Finding does during the rut is a great strategy for increasing your odds for a shot at a buck.I set up my stands every year next to known doe bedding areas and wait them out.

In regards to using other hunter movement to your advantage. In one area I hunt guys from Mass come up and drive the woods the first Sat/Sun of firearms. You can set your watch to them. I credit some of my success to there movement. They want to deploy forced deer movement as a means to hunt then they run the risk of running deer by hunters outside there party. I 100% treestand hunt unless the wind is howling or it's raining hard. I also use Tinks in my scent drippers. The guys heading back for lunch is just another reason for me to stay in my ladder stand.
I pay tribute to there empty stomachs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.