Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS for hunting

Old 07-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GPS for hunting

Centaur1: I use a ball also. I like being able to just look down and get a quick read, especially when tracking. I use the good ol' G.I. army issue lensatic when I need to orient. 38 years old, and still works like a charm. It usually gets whipped out around 3:00pm. Rule of thumb I use where I hunt is no later than that, know EXACTLY where you are.

Got to admit, I have considered the Gps'., especially the ones with the ability to download GOOD topo maps. Just haven't been able to justify cost. For sure they have their place, though.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

+!
I also have a cheapo backup that works just fine.It's not the pin on but is a combination of compass/whistle/magnifying glass/thermometer on a lanyard I got from Bass Pro shops for like 7 bucks.I've been using it every time I go into the woods for over ten years and never a problem.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: liberty1743

ORIGINAL: WM Greening

GPS is great for following blood trails, take a landmark or waypoint every few drops so if you need to go get help you get back to last drops. Also helps when going to stand before daylight. I've had minefor several years, it's a Magellan purchased at Wally-World. I don't leave it on all time, turn it on when ready for use so batteries won't run down, alway carryextras.
Great advice, thanks!
If you shoot them through the shoulders, there is no need for a blood trail.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Spike

Default Safari GPS works with Google Earth

Originally Posted by liberty1743
Excellent feedback! That's exactly what I was looking into doing. I was using Google Earth/Maps to scan some state wildlife areas. I still need to buy a GPS though.
Sorry. Just found this thread and thought your mention of Google Earth was interesting.

Have you looked at the Lowrance Safari? I own one. It has a 3-axis compass so that covers most of the comments on this thread and even has 27 pre-loaded hunting icons (yes, I counted). One of those icons is for blood trail and it also covers tree stands, blinds, scrapes, rubs, and roosting trees.

To your comment, the Safari saves waypoints and trails in GPX format which can be opened and viewed on Google Earth. I mark my tree stands on a hunting lease and then email them to my hunting partner to view on Google Earth. He is about to get a Safari so he can just load the file into his GPS and have it ready to go.

Just a thought.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by crokit
compass and topo map-15$
Nice one Mr. old school. I think this guy wants something that is easier to use and more convenient... Nice Suggestion tho.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

A GPS is an excellent tool for marking hot spots like stand locations, trails and game travel routes, but I agree with the compass and topo map. If you can become proficient with these two tools for navigation you won't need a GPS except as a secondary tool. Navigation devices are great for fishing and when my wife is driving.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Spike

I have to agree with the use of the GPS. I hate juggling and using a compass and a map while also having a gun, backpack, binoculars, and a grunt call seems a little excessive. The only thing that would make it better is if I could strap the GPS on my wrist or forearm like a wrist watch and then reference the map and compass when needed.

BTW to Josh Williams - I have a Lowrance Safari too. Pretty cool little device - especially if you hunt AND fish. Lowrance knows what they are doing on that front.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:40 AM
Spike

Default they are not mutually exclusive

And sometimes a compass isn't much help at all, like if your spot is on private land or relatively small. A compass will orient you so you can go in the right direction, or help you follow a map. I always have one.

But a gps will enable you to mark a particular spot. Or many spots. Or paths through the woods.

And that part about being able to go to google earth is a big advantage, it really helps you get used to a piece of property in a fraction of the amount of time.

I save my waypoints and tracks and view them in gpsvisualizer.com. I can print out maps that way, that I can either use with a map and compass, or give to a friend. If that friend has a gps they can use my files, they don't have to replot on their own.

I can view the area while in mapquest, using google earth, then place waypoints on areas that look interesting. While others are guestimating with their map and compass (which is talked about a lot but truth be told I've never seen anyone use them where I'm at. Not sure why. ) You will know exactly how close you are to that bedding area.

If the gps fails you can still get out your map and compass, BECAUSE THERE ARE NOT LAWS THAT SAY YOU ONLY MUST USE ONE!

In other words, you can use both so why not take advantage of the technology. I have a venture hc and vista hcx. The vista has much longer battery life and saves more tracks. It also has an electronic compass, I still use my manual one to confirm. The biggest advantage to me with having the electronic compass is the map image does not flop around when you are standing still.

A gps will only work if you learn to use the features, they are not failproof so the warnings about being too dependant on them are important. Learn before you need it, not during. I always take spare batteries, and now I even have a spare gps if I want.

Here is an example of a "map" I made on gpsvisualiser. The other nice thing is when I go back later this year, I can go to the same spots I went to last year, even though the area may look differant.

You probably can't see the lables but there are stands and stuff marked.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by liberty1743
I'm new to hunting and am looking at buying a GPS unit. Does anyone have any experience/recommendations?
I never have used one and never will, I think that if You dont know the land your hunting you shouldint be hunting
That is is just my personal opinion though. I dont like high tech Hunting and I think if you need all kinds of special gagets and stuff to hunt you should stay in the office. I would reccomend not getting one cause that way you can learn how to get around using landmarks sun-stars and even a compass to keep you from getting lost you cant always rely on a gps for example, the battery could die you could drop it in the creek, or it could stop working for no reason, Then what are you gonna do, if you dont know how to get along without it? Just somethin to think about

best regards,
Gen
Old 03-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by crokit
compass and topo map-15$
This is what I reccomend as well

Quick Reply: GPS for hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.