Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Icom 2-way radios??

Old 04-28-2003, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default Icom 2-way radios??

I have been mulling over a 2-way radio purchase for some time now. I' d like to get the longest range possible, but I don' t want to pay over $200 to $250 a piece. I' d have a normal working range of 2 to 3 miles, flat land/wooded. The radio also needs to be FRS/GMRS compatible, so I can use it with others. The Motorala T7200 is the one I am looking at, but I really don' t care for the LCD screen, beep options, and all the extra features. I want to turn it on, turn a dial to a channel, and use it.

I saw in Cabelas an ad for an Icom 4-watt radio, at about the same price as the T7200. It boasts up to 7 miles range, and doesn' t appear to have all those pricy/fancy, frilly, features of the T7200. It is also FRS/GMRS compatible, and has a price tag much cheaper than some of the Motorola HP or XTS professional series, neither of which are compatible with the most frequently used FRS/GMRS combination.

It looks like a good radio on the surface, but does anybody have any experience with the Icom brand?

I' ve checked out their website www.icomamerica.com, but that' s all the info I have.

Thanks!

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan
Old 04-29-2003, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Icom 2-way radios??

I know I only had this question on here a day, but I think I' ll turn this into a product review, as I just ordered 2 Icoms from Cabelas that will be here on Friday.

I' ll let you know how they seem. They look great on paper anyways, and what info I could find about their radios seemed pretty positive.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan
Old 05-20-2003, 06:30 PM
Spike

Default RE: Icom 2-way radios??

NorthJeff, I was looking at the same radio in the Cabelas Magazine, and it looks interesting. I am looking forward to reviews in the product......