Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Boot Blankets

Old 01-16-2009, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default Boot Blankets

Has anyone ever used them. I do a lot of treestand hunting and need something that will keep my feet warm. I have tried a lot of different cold weather boots and I think most of them are ripoffs. I am wondering if the boot blankets and a normal 400-800 grams of thinsulate pair of boots would be a better way to go.

Dan
Old 01-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Boot Blankets

Isee you're from Iowa, well im in South Dakota and it was -40 here the other morning, the coldest spot in the nation,so we both know what cold is. I have 2 pairs of pac boots (there just too clumbsy to walk in) and they've sat in the closet since i bought my arctic shield boot blankets. These are the warmest 1's i've found, and your feet stay warm, especially when u throw a hand warmer in them. My boots are a pair of cabelas 1200 whitetail extreme and there great. I havent tried the boot blankets with a lighter pair of boots, so i dont know.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive been using Icebreaker boot blankets for years and Im now on my 2nd pair. For weather under 40 deg they are always w/ me. They work great w/ light hiking /hunting boots( feet sweat less on the way to stand) and a foot warmer inside at the toe, when its really cold.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

That is whatI want. I want to be able to wear light boots and then slip something over them on the days when it is a little colder. I am tired of tromping around in those heavy 1600 gram thinsulate rubber boots.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Spike

The Arctic Shield boot blankets work better with lighter boots, per their website:

What kind of boot works best with ArcticShield Boot Insulators?
The Boot Insulators will work with all types of boots, but you’ll be more comfortable in lighter boots with very little to no insulation. Here’s why: Boots that have too much insulation cause your feet to sweat while walking to your hunting destination. Once you stop, that sweat cools your feet and keeps you from benefiting from the ArcticShield Boot Insulators.
And,
My feet still got cold while wearing the Boot Insulators. What’s wrong?

2) Wrong boots – You may be wearing boots that are too heavily insulated. Traditional insulation traps the heat of your body and the cold of the outdoors. While you’re in route to your hunting destination, the outside part of your boot can get cold. Once you stop and your blood circulation slows down, your feet will start to produce less heat. Even with the Boot Insulators over your boots, if your feet don’t produce enough heat to warm up your boots, your feet will get cool. If your feet happen to sweat while you’re traveling to your destination, the coldness will be amplified. It’s best to wear lighter boots so your feet have less material to warm up, plus you’re less likely to sweat.

Just in case you weren't aware.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

That makes sense.

Thanks
Dan
Old 01-20-2009, 07:06 AM

Here is a tip for you that is bullet proof. Purchase a pair of Boot Blankets and 4 large charcoal hand warmers ( about the size of your hand ). While still at home or deer camp open up all 4 hand warmers and throw 2 into each Boot Blanket. Then pack your Boot Blankets into your back pack and head to your stand.

Once in your stand remove your boots and slide your feet into the Boot Blankets. They will already be fully warmed up for you. Your feet will be warm and comfortable all day long.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't need them here in Florida but I saw them this past weekend at the SHOT Show. They have more insulation than my first house.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Illinois59

Here is a tip for you that is bullet proof. Purchase a pair of Boot Blankets and 4 large charcoal hand warmers ( about the size of your hand ). While still at home or deer camp open up all 4 hand warmers and throw 2 into each Boot Blanket. Then pack your Boot Blankets into your back pack and head to your stand.

Once in your stand remove your boots and slide your feet into the Boot Blankets. They will already be fully warmed up for you. Your feet will be warm and comfortable all day long.

thats what i do but ,boy, when you go to walk out are your feet cold in those boots that you took off all day,brrrrrrrr.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dtk913

Has anyone ever used them. I do a lot of treestand hunting and need something that will keep my feet warm. I have tried a lot of different cold weather boots and I think most of them are ripoffs. I am wondering if the boot blankets and a normal 400-800 grams of thinsulate pair of boots would be a better way to go.

Dan
dan, i carry extra socks.

when walking in to my spot i put on light pair of socks and bag over my socks.

this keeps your inside boot from getting wet.

i take off my socks and put on fresh wool socks.

then BOOT BLANKETS OVER TOP.

if your feet get wet from sweat, no way boot blankets will work.so, carry in fresh socks,then they will work.

those 1600 boots you talk about are about only boot that will keep your feet warm.

forget leather boots.

change those socks when you sit down to hunt and your feet will stay warm.

Quick Reply: Boot Blankets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.