Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Boot Blankets

Old 02-19-2009, 07:40 AM
Spike

Default RE: Boot Blankets

I use to go heavy on the boots and the all wool sox as many of the other hunters have noted but i found that I sweated too much and then my feet froze every time. last yr and this yr I did some things different. After the morning shower make sure the feet are dry then spray them with unscented all natural mineral salts antipresperant, allow that to dry infront of a heater or something. Then put on a thin nylon/polyester/spandex type sox that wick away any possible sweat from the surface of the skin. Next a med. thick wool poly blend sock to insulate and pull the moisture away from the foot. I bought a $30 pair of boots at Wal-mart that were a hardenedwater proof nylon shell w/ 400 grms of thinsulate and thick foam type soles , not hard vibrem type that transfers the cold to your feet. I carry an extra pair ofsox with me if i should need them. And finnalyI carry a dbl thick butt pad to put my feet on instead of the cold metal foot platform of the tree stand.Many of my hunting days thisyr were16 degs. or colder and i didnt have anycold feet problemsat all this yr.
About the boot blankets I found I dont need any thing like them now.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Doe Dumper

Sproul has some good advice on this cold weather stuff. First thing you'll find when ya open my pack are extra WOOL socks and several packs of handwarmers. Those boot blankets are sweet but damn if they arent rough to put on in the stand and they are noisy on stand in extreme cold. When I find a way around the noise part Ill be set.
next year i am wearing in just my HIKING BOOTS boots with just i pair of socks,they are real light and easy to unlace.

i cant take my rubber boots off in treestand and on ground, its to hard on my feet to walk up my ladder steps WITH boot blankets on.

so,i can take hiking boots off fairly easy in stand, then on with my BOOT BLANKETS with a HANDWARMER not FOOTWARMER.

put your HIKING BOOTS IN YOUR FANNY PACK TO KEEP DRY.

I PUT OUTDOOR CARPETING ON WHERE YOUR FEET REST, IT KEEPS YOUR FEET WARMER AND HELPS WITH SLIPPING BUT ALSO KEEPS YOUR FEET QUITE WITH BOOT BLANKETS.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Spike

I have used boot blankets for over 10yrs one of the best piece of gear ievery bought next to my ruger rifle.I only wear apair of 400gram leather boots and good pair of wool socks works great for me but I am in VAwe dont have to deal with temps at -40.make sure you put them on as soon as you get to your stand if you let your feet get cold first they act as a freezer.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PINEKNOT

I have used boot blankets for over 10yrs one of the best piece of gear i every bought next to my ruger rifle.I only wear apair of 400gram leather boots and good pair of wool socks works great for me but I am in VA we dont have to deal with temps at -40.make sure you put them on as soon as you get to your stand if you let your feet get cold first they act as a freezer.

you are right.

also a heavy rubber boot they dont work as well as light leather boot.

i like my boots off when i wear them,i can wiggle my toes and nothing tight around my feet,i can drop in a HANDWARMER ,BEST I HAVE FOUND FOR ME.

sitting for 10 hrs in a tree at 10 above with wind blowing ,any boot is just too uncomfortable for me but boot blanket is like wearing bedroom slippers.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

They've never made anything that would keep me warm sitting 10 hours in 10 degrees..lol. Back in my younger days when I weighed 400 pounds maybe...but now that I weigh 200 if it gets below 60 degrees now I start hunting a jacket
Old 03-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

that is why i may just archery hunt here in pa this year.

cold/wind was awful.

buy a kids sleeping bag at d.i,c,k,s,i used to use one of those until i went to a WOOL BLANKET i cut a hole in middle for my head, then the boot blankets with NO BOOTS on,i have to fight to stay awake