Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Boot Blankets

Old 02-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Boot Blankets

Artic shields are one of the great inventions of all time. I hunt in No. Wi. and it is cold, I have had knee replacement and cannot wear a heavy boot. I leave a pair in the woods by my stand in a tupperwear container along with heavy jacket. I wear kangaroo boots with only 200 grains insulation. they weigh under 3#. Inside the leather boot I put a toe warmer. Then slip on artic shields with a toe warmer inside. feet are real warm an I am an ol'timer
Old 02-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Forgot, be sure to get 1 size larger than they recommend
RC
Old 02-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

best way to use them is when you go to sit,take off your boots and put ONLY the BOOT BLANKETS ON.

USE a big handwarmer things .

get same size as your boot or smaller,you will never put them over your boots.

only problem is, boy is your boots cold walking out of woods after sitting there in cold.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:38 AM
Spike

I also have a set of boot-blankets,but we all can admit they are painful to carry in and even more painful to put on, especially 20' up in a tree.I live by the charcoal hand warmers!Most of us in the midwest hunt in some sort of rubber boot (Lacrosse Alpha's,1200,800).I start with my base silk sock,I then lightly tape 1 hand warmer on top of toes(another just back if really cold)then a medium wool and finally another med. or heavy.My 1200's are over sized for this reason.My feet might sweat some,but those heaters kick from dark to dark .I use a muzzle for my hands and do not need heavy gloves.I realize Indiana is not the same as North Dakota,but I carry less and things are simpler.In fact ,if anybody Knows of good prices on bulk warmers please speak up. Thanks
Old 02-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: INDY HUNTER

I also have a set of boot-blankets,but we all can admit they are painful to carry in and even more painful to put on, especially 20' up in a tree.I live by the charcoal hand warmers!Most of us in the midwest hunt in some sort of rubber boot (Lacrosse Alpha's,1200,800).I start with my base silk sock,I then lightly tape 1 hand warmer on top of toes(another just back if really cold)then a medium wool and finally another med. or heavy.My 1200's are over sized for this reason.My feet might sweat some,but those heaters kick from dark to dark .I use a muzzle for my hands and do not need heavy gloves.I realize Indiana is not the same as North Dakota,but I carry less and things are simpler.In fact ,if anybody Knows of good prices on bulk warmers please speak up. Thanks
wal-mart had them on sale but its off.

i think i paid 1 dollar a pack.

i take my rubber boots off on ground.put on my wool socks.

i use ladderstand.

i then put on my BOOT BLANKETS WITH handwarmer IN THEM,NOT a foot warmer.

i only wear 1 pair of polyporpene socks and woolrich 80% wool sock.

i can wiggle my toes all day and they are warm at -10.

only problem is my feet are real cold for a few minutes with my rubber boots walking out at dark in cold do to being on ground in cold.

i put them ingarbage bag while on ground.

this is best i have seen for keeping my feet warm.

those boot blankets are like bedroom slippers while sitting.

i will never use my rubber boots again while sitting.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good points already. Echo the importance of keeping your feet dry and boots not so tight that you are restricting circulation. I hunted in eastern Montana one week when the highs hit -10F. For a south Alabama guy is beyond cold. I was blind hunting mule deer on a very small piece of property, too small to spot and stalk effectively. major traveling area was located on the far NE corner of this 160 acre plot of private land. I was trying to catch them traveling between feed and bedding. I sat the better part of 4 days, 10 hours +/- each day. Amen for the "Boot Blanket" and "Hot Hands". Got my nice mule deer buck at about 10:00 am on the 5th day. I tagged up, skinned and packed and then headed south as fast as my old Ford and the law would allow. Snowed all the way to Kansas City. It was about 40F when I got home ... a virtual heat wave !!
Old 02-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Mojotex

Good points already. Echo the importance of keeping your feet dry and boots not so tight that you are restricting circulation. I hunted in eastern Montana one week when the highs hit -10F. For a south Alabama guy is beyond cold. I was blind hunting mule deer on a very small piece of property, too small to spot and stalk effectively. major traveling area was located on the far NE corner of this 160 acre plot of private land. I was trying to catch them traveling between feed and bedding. I sat the better part of 4 days, 10 hours +/- each day. Amen for the "Boot Blanket" and "Hot Hands". Got my nice mule deer buck at about 10:00 am on the 5th day. I tagged up, skinned and packed and then headed south as fast as my old Ford and the law would allow. Snowed all the way to Kansas City. It was about 40F when I got home ... a virtual heat wave !!
oh my,you had it rough.

i love taking my boots off now and putting on just the boot blankets and a handwarmer in each boot blanket.

i may stop wearing my lacroose alpha burlys and just using a hiking boot to walk in and out.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have sno pak and rubber insulated boots for wet colder weather, but I might be able to use those boot blankets with a couple of pair of military desert boots during colder weather hunting, too. Save on buying some insulated leather boots just for hunting. Those boot blankets are cheaper, too.

Right now, I'm just wearing heavy wool socks in temps down in the teens, for general wear outdoors in cold weather.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Valentine

I have sno pak and rubber insulated boots for wet colder weather, but I might be able to use those boot blankets with a couple of pair of military desert boots during colder weather hunting, too. Save on buying some insulated leather boots just for hunting. Those boot blankets are cheaper, too.

Right now, I'm just wearing heavy wool socks in temps down in the teens, for general wear outdoors in cold weather.
boot blankets work the best if your boot is lite boot.

like my lacroose alpha burlys, they are too heavy a boot for boot blankets.

i bought the smaller blanket boots and TAKE MY HUNTING BOOTS OFF.

you can put on up to 3 socks if you want that way and wiggle your toes too.

i just use a HANDWARMER, NOT A FOOT WARMER IN EACH BOOT BLANKET WITHOUT MY BOOTS.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sproul has some good advice on this cold weather stuff. First thing you'll find when ya open my pack are extra WOOL socks and several packs of handwarmers. Those boot blankets are sweet but damn if they arent rough to put on in the stand and they are noisy on stand in extreme cold. When I find a way around the noise part Ill be set.

Quick Reply: Boot Blankets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.