Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

CLIMBING VRS LOCK ON STAND

Old 01-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

I don't have a straight tree or one without alot of branches on the property i hunt. Therefor, all i use are hang ons.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Depends on the hunter and the situation

Despite the product, as advertised, no tree stand is perfect. Not perfect for every place, situation or the hunter that uses it.

I too have hunted over the last fifteen years, and I've used a total of one tree stand every hunting year -a climbing stand. And I never thought everyone had to give their approval. If it suits me; it suits me.

Some hunters will never enjoy climbing heights on a tree. Some hunters are too out of shape or too large for the tree stand. Some tree stands are light, under 15 pounds, but too tiny on the seating area of a hunter with a big backside. Treestands in the plus 20 pound area, are sometimes too heavy for a bad back or can't find their way into the woods without the aid of the sometimes illegal non road vehicle. Some treestands are so large, you better be experienced operating a crane. But for many, cranes are not supplied equipment or even mentioned.

Some hunters think nothing of buying a necessary treestand and can't do two or three pull ups. Some will order a mountaineering rope. As if they can propel safely downward, like a nimble twenty year old paratrooper or a rock climber.

In this day and age, all three or four hundred pound hunters are welcome. No one asks how much of their body fat is welcomed.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

All three types have their places: Ladder, climber, hang-on.

Of the two mentioned above, the ladder and hang on stands seem to work better "deer sighting" wise if you can have them set up ahead of time. A climber, while it can be some what noisy as well, doesn't seem to make you work up as "much" of a sweat installing it as the other two styles, but you still work up some!!!

Depending on which state you hunt in, screw-in steps might not be allowed. So you can use strap on steps or some kind of ladder for hsnging a "hang-on" stand. I have been mainly using this type for a good many years now, but now at 55 years old, they give you a work out!!! Another thing, don't leave those steps or stand in the tree over the winter!! When that tree starts growing again the following spring, you almost have to take along a hammer just to get those steps back out!!

If you own your own land, ladder stands set up a month or two before the season is the ticket. You can slip in and out quietly. The other two stands, while portable, create more work and sweat.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default climbing stand

thanks all for info. i feel i am going with a climbing stand here in sproul woods of pa.its publicland and do to less deer, sitting in 1 spot with ladder stand is something that is not working anymore.
i may still use my ladder stand in gun season but if the climber is more comfortable and i can leave it hidden in woods near tree,i may just stay with climber in gun season too.
i know after the buck i was after was shot first day of gun 30 yds from me,i was stuck in 1 spot with my ladderstand.i cant put out like 3 stands as they will attract other hunters or be destroyed etc on publicland.

so climber would have been nice this year to be able to move to another spot..........

i am looking at SUMMIT 180 MAX sit/climb treestand.

Last edited by sproulman; 01-23-2010 at 10:45 AM.