Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Best 2 Way Radios

Old 12-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Spike

Default Best 2 Way Radios

My mother is shopping for my father. She wants to get him new 2 way radios that he and I use while deer hunting. She's looked at some that claim up to 30 miles. I'm sure if one of us is hunting in the timber that would be reduced some.

Can anyone shed some light on what radios are the best and why?

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best 2 Way Radios

I don't know about them being best or not but we've always gotten good service from motorola radios. They have several different lines or power levels (working distances) to choose from. Basically, in general the more you pay, the better the product, as in everything.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Dominant Buck

I have owned motorola and midlands and have used cobras. They all work ok but have about 1/10 the range they claim.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

x2 on the reduced range. My brand new Midlands claim 36 miles, but won't travel more than 1/2 -3/4 in timber with slopes. There is an asterisk next to the 36 mile claim that states something like must be wide open without obstructions "like in a desert" I guess.

I bought them off amazon.com. If you sign up for their credit card you get $30 off. $55 radios for $25. Quick shipping too.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

We use 5 watt upper end motorola's and tekk's. They work really well, and with the wattage they push up and over the mountains pretty well. Keep in mind...."distance" is line of sight, and based on the power of your radio. Some might go 30+ miles if you were on the ocean....but in the woods its definitely different. That said, ours have even gone pretty far in the woods...miles for sure, but they are not cheap radios. However, they all have limits, since they are line of sight.

I have not used the cheapo models....I'm sure for the avg person they will do the job. Ihave seen ones that beep every time you talk...[&:]
Old 12-22-2008, 01:23 PM

I have Garmin Rino 2 ways with GPS. We use them for coyote hunting with PTT ear buds. They work great and when a coyote gives us the slip we can normally get on him since we can GPS where the other guy is.