Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Which GPS's have Aerial photos??

Old 12-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default Which GPS's have Aerial photos??

looking for a GPS that also has aerial photos. will actually use the aerials more than the GPS as I don't hunt the big woods. would be nice to be able to overlay tax map boarders, w/ areials and topos. is that possible?

was hunting w/ a friend this year and he pulled up google earth on his iPhone with gps tracker. showed exactly where we were. aerials are nice for where we hunt as it's state land w/ planted sections on pines. as soon as people start pushing around deer head for the cover. looking at aerials I could find some really good spots and pin point myself perfectwith the iPhone.

was thinking about just getting a new Blackberry storm w/ internet access & gps tracker so I could just pull up google earth.

what device will do what I listed above? would also use the GPS for loading snowmobile trail maps for Quebec riding : )
Old 12-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Spike

Default RE: Which GPS's have Aerial photos??

Garmin Colorado series and the Delorme. The Delorme is supposed to be great. Just have not sprung for one yet.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am just waiting for the holidays to get over in case the wife gets me one.. I am planning on getting the DeLorme Earthmate PN-20 or the PN-40. I am not sure about the PN-40 yet as they haven't been out very long yet. ButI love what I have seen in the PN-20s so right now it will be a toss-up sort of thing..
Old 12-12-2008, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

was looking at the bushnell onix 200 cr, but after reading the reviews on cabelas I'm going to look at the Delmore.

do any of these GPS's with aerials have the ability to overlay tax maps? would be ideal for what I'm needing it to do.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

does the colorado offer satelite aerials? doesn'tstate so on their website. it has nice color topos, but doesnt state satelite aerials.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

The PN 40 is getting great reviews. Although the newer of the Delorme line it appears they just took the PN 20 installed a faster processor and added the electronic compass. The Colorado although nice has had some issues with software. Plus I think the PN40 comes with the topo maps while if the Coloroda is like the other Garmin products you will have to buy it separate. I have several garmin units and love them but if I were buying today I would take a strong look at Delorme. '

just my 2 cent..
Old 12-13-2008, 04:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

FREE Map, Chart, and Imagery Downloads[/align]In addition to the enhanced topographic and street maps on the included Topo USA 7.0 DVD-ROM, your purchase entitles you to $100 in NEW Data Download Dollars, good for supplementary data as Web downloads. Options include: [/align][*]» USGS 1:24,000 quad maps[*]» NOAA nautical charts[*]» High-resolution color aerial imagery - U.S. States[*]» High-resolution color aerial imagery - Select U.S. Cities[*]» Black-and-white aerial imagery[*]» 10-meter color satellite imagery [/ul]
Prices and coverage vary by dataset but, as an example, $100 of USGS quads cover 386 sq. miles. Access to these downloads is via the NetLink tab in the program interface.
[/align][/align]I am not 100% sure but if your area has satellite imagery you would be able to get it with this.. This is a quote from Delormes web site. Plus you can sign up to recieve a free news letter to up date you on whats going on. I am looking more at the PN 20 as it has been out longer so it should have most of the bugs out of it. But, as stated the PN 40 is getting some strong reviews as well. But, this is realatifly new so I am not that sure of this one as of yet.[/align]