Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Summit Climber question

Old 01-31-2010, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Be advised the buckles on the Lone Wolf stabilizer straps can and do break. One of mine broke in less than 1 hunting season. Course my Dad always said I could break an anvil! After my experience with the LW's I will be using the Thirdhand Archery straps.
putting tape on THA buckles will help with noise.it will still make noise but a lot better if it hits metal of stands.but when tape gets wet it starts coming off, i did not like that.
plastic on LW ones is quiet.
i agree if you would pull REAL tight down on anything plastic, i could break.
just SNUG the LW straps down and they will be fine.
yes my dad used to say, LITTLE SPROUL BRO IT AGAIN, WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS TEARING THINGS APART.
YOU KNOW, I STILL TEAR STUFF APART BUT MORE CAREFUL NOW.......
Old 01-31-2010, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sproulman
putting tape on THA buckles will help with noise.it will still make noise but a lot better if it hits metal of stands.but when tape gets wet it starts coming off, i did not like that.
plastic on LW ones is quiet.
i agree if you would pull REAL tight down on anything plastic, i could break.
just SNUG the LW straps down and they will be fine.
yes my dad used to say, LITTLE SPROUL BRO IT AGAIN, WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS TEARING THINGS APART.
YOU KNOW, I STILL TEAR STUFF APART BUT MORE CAREFUL NOW.......
A buddy of mine coats his metal buckles and hooks with rubber tool dip. Seems to work very good.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

After a couple of years of you will need to replace the cables.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fishintay

Not sure why you need to change the cables after only a couple years. My previous Viper was 5 years old and the cables were in good shape. The outer covering had tears in it but the cable itself was fine.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

I'm glad that you like it pastor Jim.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

10-4 on the problem confronting you should your lower section decide to ratchet its way down. I was just sitting there. Shuffled my feet and .... watched my lower section of my new "Cadillac" brand stand ratchet its way down 10-12 feet. I had forgotten to attach it to the top section ! Deep do-do !! Fortunately I was up "only" about 20 feet. Didn't have to eat too much bark !! But I tell you it was not fun, and it was all I could do to safely get down that tree.

My cousin's Summit Viper had such factory straps, but no big deal to rig up one. Also let me throw in a plug for using a safety harness. It is a life saver.

The wear on the rubber must be normal. Robert's Viper's strap's rubber covering is more or less scuffed off much of the length. I can't see how that would be a problem.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by fishintay
my brothers cables on his summit are 13 years old.he uses shrink wrap from hardware store on lugs when worn.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
A buddy of mine coats his metal buckles and hooks with rubber tool dip. Seems to work very good.
yes, i bought a can of that stuff today for 8 dollars at GRIZZLY .
it comes in black/red.......good idea.......
Old 02-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cant imagine replacing those cables just cause a little rubber is gone....but Im sure a lot of folks do. My Goliath is an 06 model and I have used that thing and used it a LOT. Like over 100 hours a year and the rubber covering is showing a little wear but nothing drastic. The rubber spray is a good idea tho... I can think of more than one place on the stand that would be nice on.