Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Climbing tree stand

Old 11-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Climbing tree stand

i've use the old Warren & Sweats, Equilizers, Tree Lounge and Summit Goliath SS. i still own my Summit and Tree Lounge. my Tree Lounge is now a "loaner" and i only use my Summit. Summits from my personal experiences are by far the easiest to back pack and use. they are also the second most comfortable stand i have used, behind the Tree Lounge.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

Since you have had so many, I must ask. . .What makes you prefer the others over the Equalizer? I'm only curious because to me, the Equalizer is like a revolution in the mechanicals, but I'm still working to get the feeling right for me.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

for me, the Summit's are way more comfortable. no matter how much padding you put over an aluminum or wood seat, it still doesn't compare to a padded sling seat. also, i always had to cinch the Equilizer to the tree with a strap to get it 100% stable, you don't have to worry about that with a Summit. it bites the tree hard and i've never had it slip. i never said Equilizers were junk, they are good stands, i just prefer a more comfortable stand so i can sit longer. i also found my Summit was quicker and easier to pack in and out. for comfort, NOTHING beats a Tree Lounge but they are a pain to set up compared to my Summit. as far as the Warren & Sweat stands go, sitting in them were like riding a bull. they tried to throw you out, you could not shift your weight to either side or they would dump you.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the comparison. I too am trying to figure out the seat thing. I'm thinking about throwing my sling seat in my Equilizer. It is funny your comment about stability. I love the Equalizer's stability. The way I can lean on the sides of the stand and not worry about it spinning around the tree is amazing. My old stand would feel solid and then dump me if I leaned to the side. I never fell out, but had a few scares. It was a Hunter's View. The Equalizer also amazes me how quick and quiet I can setup on the tree. Any noise when setting up is my fault. It is possible to be completely silent, if you pay attention when setting the cable to the keyhole slots.

The only solid negative so far is the made in Taiwan sticker. Why did they have to do that? There are plenty of good american suppliers and that probably would have eliminated some of the scratches and scuffs inside the package. I didn't care about them, but some people would because it is one of the most expensive stands and it is brand new.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nksmfamjp

Thanks for the comparison. I too am trying to figure out the seat thing. I'm thinking about throwing my sling seat in my Equilizer. It is funny your comment about stability. I love the Equalizer's stability. The way I can lean on the sides of the stand and not worry about it spinning around the tree is amazing. My old stand would feel solid and then dump me if I leaned to the side. I never fell out, but had a few scares. It was a Hunter's View. The Equalizer also amazes me how quick and quiet I can setup on the tree. Any noise when setting up is my fault. It is possible to be completely silent, if you pay attention when setting the cable to the keyhole slots.

The only solid negative so far is the made in Taiwan sticker. Why did they have to do that? There are plenty of good american suppliers and that probably would have eliminated some of the scratches and scuffs inside the package. I didn't care about them, but some people would because it is one of the most expensive stands and it is brand new.
let us know how the sling seat works on the Equilizer. i never had the chance to use that, i used the black vinyl padded aluminum seat that came with it.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Summit is the best IMO.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:07 PM

I love my viper and at 20lbs it seems fine to me, but my buddy has the lone wolf and i think that only weighs 17lbs and folds really flat he love it. id check out lone wolf climbers if your looking for something real light.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

Well, I forgot the sling seat at home. Maybe next time I get out!
Old 11-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

I use the seat from my old Viper on my Equalizer, works great except for packing the stand up.
However a friend of mine, Fshafly2 showed me a different way to pack the stand so the seat will work.
You turn the platform upside down then pack the 2 pieces together, works like a charm!
The Equalizer is the sturdiest stand I have ever used and the ability to adjust the stand as you are climbing is awesome!
Old 11-26-2008, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

can't beat the Viper SS with the Suround Seat,Drop Blind,Comfort Matt, and Rapid Climb stirrups!

thats a climber on steriods

Quick Reply: Climbing tree stand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.