Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Wiring your winch on a quad?

Old 03-21-2003, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Wiring your winch on a quad?

Hi guys, buddy just picked up a used winch for his quad. I told him I have always just wired my hot (red) into my ignition and grounded to the frame (black). This way the winch will only work with the key in the on position. He said the guy he bought it from suggested to wire it direct to the battery. He also called his dealer and they suggested a 12volt celinoid(sp?) So now this not to mechanically inclined individual is lost. I said I would ask for info here to get a feeling what most do or suggest.

So what your thoughts on the above?

thank you.
Old 03-21-2003, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Wiring your winch on a quad?

If you wire your winch directly to the ignition wire you may overload the ignition wiring and burn it up.This is because the winch will probably draw much more amperage than the ignition wiring is designed for.The correct way is to wire the winch through a solenoid directly to the battery.The solenoid is then hooked to the ignition wiring so it will only allow the winch to get power with the ignition in the on position.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks SJ, I forgot about that...oops. I just checked my bike and in fact thats how it is done. I am going to call him to clarify, thanks.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:39 PM

Hey Skeeter 7mm, If it' s a warn winch call our customer service number (800) 543-9276 or check www.warn.com to get more info.
Old 03-22-2003, 09:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Skeeter-Be sure to check to make sure the solenoid is not the one that warn is recalling.Apparently a number of solenoids made by white rogers have been defective and caught fire even when the winch was not in use ,and in some cases even while the quad was parked and shut off.The warn website should have the details.
Old 03-22-2003, 11:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks SJ for the heads up, will pass on the info.
Old 03-23-2003, 05:48 AM

Skeeter...go to the web site below & go to the Ultimate Discussion Board...lots of great info there for ATV' s........Brampton Mike [8D]

www.atvtime.com
Old 03-23-2003, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

On my 4 wheeler I have a Warn 2000 winch.It goes to a Solenoid.I had called Warn when I got it. I questioned about adding a fuse for added protection.I was told it' s not recommended.I really don' t know much that will help you but it does have to go to a solenoid.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-24-2003, 04:47 AM

As everyone else said go through a solenoid, I also have a fuse added, this is not necessary.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:03 AM

Definitely a solonoid. stubble jumper said it.
i think warn may let you download the wiring diagrams off the net. but don' t hold me to that. i have a book...................somewhere.
I ride honda so i dont need the winch much only for pulling out polaris' s!

Quick Reply: Wiring your winch on a quad?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.