Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

I Need Advice on a Tower Stand

Old 09-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Spike

Default I Need Advice on a Tower Stand

As I age, and my children become more interested in deer hunting, I have decided it may be time to build a tower stand. The New England weather can be harsh, and I gradually dislike sitting in a treestand, exposed to the elements for hours on end. I think some protection from thewind and precipitationwould be welcoming, as would little space heater and magazine rack I would like something 10-12 feet off the ground and comfortably seat 2 people, but safety is important. I have some carpentry skills, and quick access to building materials. Now I just need some advice on how to build one. If anyone has some ideas, building plans or detailed photos re: homemade tower stands, I would appreciate if you could share them. My initial thoughts are that the tower itself will challenge me the most. Are there anything like brace kits available to help aid in building the tower?
Old 09-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I Need Advice on a Tower Stand

I just built one this year to put out for my wife and girls.... Mine is only a couple feet off the ground b/c we have short brush!!!! They do make brackets to bolt to your stand that to elevate your stands. Go to cabelas web site and type in deer stand brackets,I hope it helps you out!!!!

Old 09-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

Check this out:

http://deertexas.com/store/deer_blind.html

Jake
Old 09-07-2008, 10:09 PM

A few things that you will need to ask yourself and that I ask myself every year when it comes to building stands.

1. Will I move this stand within 3 years?
2. Who all will hunt this stand?
3. Would it be better to buy a stand in the long run.

Sometimes I build other times I buy. I have wooden blinds and plastic blinds. As I get older I am coming to the realization that if you don't own the land it, it most likely better to buy. They last longer, and are easier to move.

If you do decide to build, make sure that you double rung your ladder especially if you are going to have kids climbing on it. It may cost you a few more $ on 2x4's but, in the long run you will be much better off. I double rung every ladder that I build, it allows for better support for my boots when it is wet and nasty outside. Also if you are going to hunt 2 people build a 4x6 blind, I have found that this is better than hunting a 5x5. I have several 5x5's and would rather hunt a 4x6.

i don't have any blue prints on stands. They are not hard to build. Just rip some 2x4's into 2x2's for your wall supports and remember you will need to stand at some point to stretch your legs. Do not build a flat roof so that the water will be able to run off. You can buy a roll of roofing material at Lowes or your local roofing supply to cover the wood. You can also get creative, build shelves in the corners so that you can put your thermos, heater, bino's, range finder, etc.... You may want to put carpet in the bottom to allow for quieter movement, you can also put this on your shelves. I like a full door rather than a half door.

Bottom line on building your own stands is not to go cheap especially if your kids are involved.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Spike

Can' get much better than this:

http://www.new-heightsinc.com/trophy.asp

Old 09-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree Tiger, they are not cheap....The one I posted the picture of is 6x8 and it has a 2x6 bench for the kiddo's that doubles as a bed if need be. Has shelving all over inside and has pages in the back of it for hanging extra coats, silent sliding plexiglass windows thatI tinted. I too looked at buying one but a stand that had n o where near the stuff I put in this one and they started at like 1200...I built this one turn key for less than 700 and Icould was able to buildit like i wanted it.I had to buy every piece of material as I had nothing in my shop.

Another option is to have a base with a ladder and handrails built out of metal, my brother owns a welding ahop and has built some cool towers that you bolt your box to...The ladder is more of a staircase with a platform at the door....Just some ideas to throw out there!!!!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Typical Buck

I built one this summer this picture might give you some ideas.
martin

Old 09-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

I am also wondering about building a tower stand. I dont want to spend alot of money on one and would like to get it done asap because hunting season is only a couple of weeks away and I want something to muzzleload hunt out of. Does anybody have any plans they would be willing to send me. I went to deertexas.com and they have great stands but they want a buttload for their plans and I could almost have the stand built for what the plans would cost me.

Or even a good picture of the inside would help
Thank you, Todd