Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

A Tale of Two Scopes

Old 02-25-2003, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A Tale of Two Scopes

Woodseye thanks for the honest feedback...I was seriously looking at a 4.5x14x44 Zeiss on the next long range beanfield rifle i am having built. That kind of throws a damper in the whole thing. They are very clear scopes and I was impressed by the Zeiss. I have heard of the same POI problems .
Old 02-25-2003, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

JD if you can get a Schimdt & Bender for a few hunderd more than the Zeiss or Loopy...GO FOR IT!!! They are remarkable, but I haven' t seen one for less than 2 plus bills and for me that is way to serious. I have to be honest I have only had a couple of lower quality scopes let me down in the field, none of which rival what your looking at (AKA: my first scope a TRASHCO & Bushnell 3000 at the range when the hairs broke). Other than that not one failed shot was the result of my scope or equipment. It is your money buy what you want, but honestly I have never heard of to many dissapointed Varix III owners. While some may prefer to go german for a few bucks more. I would think in most cases a number of good quality scopes will be up to any task in legal hunting times. All a matter of opinion and bread you want to spend.

I admit I too was a heart broken to hear woods tale. I was almost convinced that the Zeiss would be topping a rifle in my box by this summer. I am not say no way, but rather in a wait and see mode. I have wondered how the conquest could be priced at it' s selling point. Zeiss has never been known to price according to the market. Maybe this is why, QC is not what it is on the other models or just luck of the draw.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well Woods, I hope I don' t experience the same problems you have. I' ve got two Conquests (3-9X40 and 4.5-14X44) and neither has given me any problems whatsoever. With the 4.5-14 mounted on my 7mm Rem Mag Sako I shot the best groups ever with that rifle the last time I went to the range. I' ve had the 3-9 for almost two years and it has seen quite a bit of abuse. It has endured over 600 rounds of .300 Wby ammo fired under it and two wet and muddy hunting seasons. So far, no problems. However, I will be looking for any kind of POI problems with them.

Right now I' m thinking of buying another scope for my Rem 700. Even though I like the Conquests, I' m thinking of trying something else, maybe a Kahles. I just enjoy trying new things, which is one of the reasons I bought the Zeiss. The Kahles has one major liability, however, and that' s the fact that its warranty is not transferable. If I ever wanted to sell it, that would probably detract from its value. Who knows, I might actually get another Leupold since I haven' t bought one in a while. I' ve said on other forums that I wouldn' t consider one, but I guess I' ll have to take that back.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:13 AM

Sorry it took so long to finish the story but I hit some snafus on the Leupold I tried to put on it(too short a body and my reluctance to use other than signature mounts)but I got a new scope on the 7mm-08 and its back shooting like a champ with no problems and tight groups.Same mounts(never touched em) same rings(only took the top off to sit scope in and tightened again,never took off bases)same ammo and bench rest at identical distance as before.It definitaly was the conquest and its down the road.I plan on getting another conquest and not letting it bother me as the one I still have works perfect and its my favorite scope.Just got a bad one and now I' ve moved on.I' m just spoiled by them and regard them as the best scope in my price range,and when they are good they are VERY GOOD!

woods