Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

infrared game finders

Old 02-04-2003, 12:09 AM

Default infrared game finders

Anyone ever use a infrared game finder? If so how well do they work and what model would you recommend? Do you have to buy the most expensive to find one that will work effectively? I am cisidering one and am not sure they work well and what model I would be most happy with.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:28 AM

Default RE: infrared game finders

Lurch;

I asked the same thing in another forum and got absolutely no response at all. I am not so much interested in finding wounded/dead game as I am in knowing if the unit will pick up an approaching live animal. I would like to be able to sit in my tree stand and "scan" for deer. You know how they materialize out of thin air.
Let me know what you find out.

Bill
Old 02-04-2003, 05:24 PM

Firemed,
I am not sure about your area but in mine actually hunting with game finers is illegal you might check your local laws or keep the thing hidden because it could get you into trouble.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:07 PM

they are legal here in texas but are not worth a flip. i purchased on for about $280. it gave constant false readings. i sold it to a guy for &20. he finally threw it away
Old 02-06-2003, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

A friend of mine had one. We tried to find an arrow hit doe that had gone into a northern bog. We never could get a solid reading with it. We ended up finding the doe, but we used the old-fashioned tracking method. She was down in some deep grass. I think the cold vegetation hid the heat signature. I don't think he ever used it again.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you spend a good deal of time practicing with them they work for locating game and other hunters in the bush. The difficulty that I've come across is they will also pick up hot spots in the environment. That means you'll be able to find every swamp in the area if it's cold outside. They'll also pick up houses and warm vehicles a half a mile away so life isn't simple when you use them.

Dan O.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

Lurch...a buddy of mine bought one and brought it out pheasant hunting this year. I would say it's probably the biggest waste of $$$. Even after we downed a bird and knew where it was, he used it and it was a joke. We basically had to step on it and point at it for a few seconds to get a read. Save your money and buy yourself something worth having in the field. Just my opinion (and experience)!
Old 02-07-2003, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

JD; you don't point them at an object to get a reading. You have to sweep them in a slow constant motion. They can also be used as long range motion detectors if you point them in one direction and don't move them.

Dan O.
Old 02-07-2003, 04:27 PM
Typical Buck

So the instructions say...but as I said "that's the only way we could get any kind of reading". I think a guy is better off buying a dog than one of these gimmicks. I hate to lose animals as bad as the next guy but it seems like people would rather rely on electronics than good old fashioned huntin' methods.... (JMHO)JDinAB
Old 02-07-2003, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with using dogs but they're illegal in our area. I bought a gamefinder because I hunt next to a few hundred acres of swamp. If a wounded deer goes in there I need all the help that I can get.

Dan O.

Quick Reply: infrared game finders

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.