Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

ATV's

Old 01-31-2003, 05:16 AM

Default RE: ATV's

I used to hate to see a Polaris in the woods due to the noisy 2-cycle engines but have to admit that I hunted with a guy who had the new 700 and it was sweet and quiet. I will have my '95 Honda 4x4 until I die but do see other bikes that are really good quality. Good hunting.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:26 AM

Dep214 my machine doesn't have many bells and whistles, the only thing that I've added is a winch and a snowplow, I bought the machine mostly just for the power. Once I bought it I found out how much I like the automatic trans. and it is alot more comfortable to ride. The full foot board is a deffinate plus. Some one mentioned the new 700 hundred nows that not just a 4 wheeler it's a small tractor, deffinatly an assome machine. I've only seen acouple in action, but I'll tell ya there was nothing getting in there way.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:14 AM
Fork Horn

Man did you open up a bag of worms! This is the topic of discussion every time I get to talking with a couple of by buddies. I know people with good and bad stories associated with all brands. I own a yamaha and will buy another because it has been a good bike. Best advise I can give is to go to a repair shop (in your area) and ask the mechanic which models he see's getting repaired the most.
My opinion is that Honda is probably the best bike but is priced high, Yamaha and Polaris are second, Kawasaki and Suzuki are third. All the manufacturers mentioned make fine ATV's and the difference between them is people opinions.
Old 02-01-2003, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a new 97 Polaris Sportsman 500.Before the EBS and HO. It's been a fairly reliable machine.I keep up with oil changes, transmission servicing,greasing etc.I installed an hour meter the day I bought it.At approx.225 hours I had to replace the tie rod ends.I've heard this is a common problem with Polaris.The drive belt slaps the belt cover.The Polaris does have a knocking sound which according to Polaris and Polaris owners it's normal.It about drove me nuts until I talked to directly to Polaris, their dealers and other Polaris owners.I do like my Sportsman . Would I buy another one? Probably so but I would check the Honda's and the other big boys out first.I have a Warn Winch which in my opinion is a must.If you get it stuck there is no physical way to pull that heavy beast out. Trust me I know, I buried it once.This Polaris will be 6 years old this Oct. and still has less then 300 hours on it.It's been used but not abused.
Ruger Redhawk

..... A Proud NRA Life Member since 1977 .....Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-01-2003, 11:56 PM

Well, I just can't resist, I have to get my 2 cents in. I have been on a quad since I bought a 300 Hondda fourtrax in 92. I just bought a 2002 450 Honda Foreman. If you havent figured it out already Im a Honda man from the word go. Around here we do some pretty serious riding and it's an unusual day when there are no roll overs and we total out alot of bikes. Right now the only bikes that are out there every weekend and keeping up are the 400 and 450 Honda's and the Yamaha 660 Grizzly's. I have riden alot of bikes and as loyal of a Honda man as I am the griz is awesome. I know I would'nt think of buying anything but the two of those. I put a jet kit, white brothers pipe, winch and 27x12 outlaw tires on my Honda and it does great. I like the way the Yamaha rides, the four wheel independant suspension is great but I'm not used to the automatic and dont want to learn to ride again. I'm just used to shifting and the rear straight axle. The Yamaha takes some getting used to in the corners and on side hills, it feels like it bow's under with that four wheel suspension. In the flat land though it's hard to beat,and that's tough for a Honda man to admit. One good thig though, If you have never had a quad before you will love whatever you buy.
Ride hard or go home.

Old 02-03-2003, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

what a discussion
I have a '97 400 Kodiak (Yamaha) and have been very pleased. use it to plow, haul wood, skid logs, hunt in Adirondacks, trail ride, etc. Does everything well.

FYI - ATV Television rates the Kawasaki Prairie #1; I know someone with one and they seem real nice
Also know someone with a new Kodiak (auto, shift on fly, etc, etc.) It is really nice.
Artic Cat looks to be making a nice machine (unique rack system and high clearance)
All I know is that when I get a new one, it will have independent rear suspension.