Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Cold Weather Clothing

Old 12-06-2007, 08:53 AM

Default Cold Weather Clothing

Looking to get some good quality, WARM, and quiet clothing for next year. Any suggestions?
Old 12-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Cold Weather Clothing

What price range are we talking about here and how cold of weather are you planning on hunting in?

My two favorite cold weather outfits are Cabelas Revolution Fleece insulated pullover/pants and Cabelas MTO50 one piece coveralls. The former usually get pulled out when the temperature dropsbelow 35 degrees. The latter gets pulled out when the highs do not get above the teens. The Revolution Fleece combo is fairly affordable all things considered (around $220 total). The MT050 is noticeably more expensive but I found it in Cabelas Bargain Cave for about half price.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try some of the oldest insulator material known to man: Wool! I have a Columbia wool hunting jacket with the hood and a pair of pants. The wool is a great insulator and coupled with a couple of layers of thermals underneath they can't be beat. Unless it's below freezing I'll just have one pair of thermals on underneath and the jacket and pants on and I'll stay warm. The Columbia's weren't that expensive either. I believe I paid under $200 for both jacket and pants.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Spike

I also have the Columbia wool jacket and pants combo and while it is warm if you throw some thermals under it, it does have one big problem with stopping the wind. In my expereinces the wind cuts right through the wool as they have no liner. But I do agree that wool is a very good choice. I have been looking at the stuff they have at gray wolf woolens and it looks good, but is expensive.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:59 PM

If I went with wool, any good suggestions for types of thermals to wear? any that would cut the wind?
Old 12-06-2007, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be hard pressed not to try UnderArmor. I have a couple of long sleeved mocks that I wear in town (or where ever) when I don't want to bulk up and it keeps me warm. I was skeptical at first considering how thin it is, but it works. It's not cheap but it does work. The only drawback with UnderArmor is that it's not windproof.

I would couple the UnderArmor with something a little thicker that would stop the wind. Maybe some Zero Restriction or something simular. I'm very confident that with UnderArmor on first, a windstopping second layer and the wool on top of that you'll be quite comfortable in just about any cold weather environment. Unless there are Polar Bears or Penguins there
Old 12-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Spike

I would look for wools that had a wind proof lining rather then looking for thermals that will block the wind. Cabelas Outfitter wool has two options in the wind sheer lining and the dry plus lining which is wind resistant I think. Also the Gray Wolf Woolens has a wind proof liner on some of its wool clothing. I also have an old old Woolrich jacket that I wear sometimes which is quite good against the wind(too bad its bright yellow!), and my father has the big red checkered Woolrich suit that is pretty wind resistant as well.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

For a good base layer I use Redhead E.C.W.C.S. fleece lined thermals. They work unbelievable. If you plan on doing a lot of walking around I would not recommend them because they will make you sweat. But if you are stand hunting they are awesome. I never get cold. You can get them at BassPro for $19 for pants and $19 for shirt.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wool is the way to go but good is pricy....Rivers West is a awsome company for cold weather wear...But then again its what you wear under that makes or breaks cold weather clothing...
Old 12-08-2007, 02:56 AM
Spike

Sleeping Indian wool. Yea it's pricey but it should outlast me. Wool can't be beat for cold weather. Rivers West is nice, but it don't breath worth a damn.

Quick Reply: Cold Weather Clothing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.