Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Smartwool Extra Heavy Hunting Socks

Old 11-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default Smartwool Extra Heavy Hunting Socks

Bought a pair of smartwool extra heavy hunting socks. Wore them this morning for the first time. My toes were frozen!! [:@]

So far the warmest socks I have found are the Redhead Extreme Cold socks.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Smartwool Extra Heavy Hunting Socks

Isn't it more of the boot that keeps you warm? I would never depend on a sock to keep my foot warm. A good wicking sock with a great boot.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

I have a pair of Irish Setters, 1600gram insulate. The smartwool socks are suppose to be great @ moisture wicking. I even wore them around my house and after half a day they were wet. Took them off and even made my gf feel how wet they were [:'(]. She wasent impressed in the least LoL. Theres no way these socks should obsorb and hold moisture like they do. I dont wear the boots @ home[&:]
Old 11-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just picked up a new pair of LaCrosse Alpha Iceman pak boots that are rated to 125 below zero!! Let me tell you, I wore them the other day when it was 28 degree's out and my feet where frozen after only three hours in my treestand!!! Problem was the walk to my stand in the morning, I think. After finally getting set-up in my stand at 6:15am, I stayed there until 10:30am before heading back to camp. When I removed my boots, my socks and boot liners were soaked!! Appears that your feet must sweat bad inside those boots, and that sweat causes your feet toget cold when standing still for 4+ hours up in a treestand!! Now that suks!! I hate cold feet, so what am I suppose to do, wear a different pair of boots to my stand, thenwhen I get to my stand,put those new pak boots on?[:-]
Old 11-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

I just ordered some sock liners. I will post my review when they arrive and I try em out.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just picked up a new pair of LaCrosse Alpha Iceman pak boots that are rated to 125 below zero!! Let me tell you, I wore them the other day when it was 28 degree's out and my feet where frozen after only three hours in my treestand!!!
its all about how your body regulates heat. if you have bad or poor blood circulation having boots with a -500 degree rating aint gonna do much. i have bought a bunch of pac boots with magical claims through the years. if your not moving around and just sitting for hours you need to concentrate on your center core temperature(chest and head). if you take care of that your limbs will follow usually. good wool socks and chemical heat packs in a pair of loosely tied pack boots are my trick. also i hunted this week and it was around 32 degrees in the morning. the humidity was like 88%. i thought it was like 10 degrees out. there is much to think about when trying to stay warm. experiment as much as you can and im sure you will find a combination that will at least get you through the day. i also love this product but you could sew your own pockets in a pair of long jons. http://www.scottimsproducts.com/product.asp?id=3
Old 11-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

While I agree with liquidorange's comment about paying attention to all areas of the body (especially the head). I have sweaty feet and it took a lot of trial and error to keep my toes warm when its cold outside. #1 is a polypro sockliner (my brand prefence is Helly Hansen), #2 temp. appropriate weight wool sock and #3 matching the footwear to the situation. In regards to #3 if I will be moving I wear lighter insulation. If sitting I wear in gortex boots and sockliners, then once in stand switch my socks to dry liners and wool, finally put on my pac boots and leave them loosely tied. When it comes to choosing boot and sock combos it is essential to have wiggle room, to tight is a receipe for cold feet. As mentioned when sitting for a period I like to keep my boots loosely tied to help with circulation. Also getting the feet up off the stand base or frozen ground will help. Hot packs are agod sentand can be placed in boots, hands, jacket, pocket, etc.

Other things to remember is fuel up properly prior to the hunt, eat foods like oatmeal, trail mix, PBJ sandwiches, etc. Avoid caffine as it thins the blood and causes one to loose body core temperature as a result. For me and others it also makes one unzip more frequently and we know what that means. If you need something warm take cup of soup or even hot water in your thermos instead. Circulation is a key to warmth, so make sure you keep the blood flowing by doing arm/leg cirlces, stretch, etc
Old 11-12-2007, 04:49 AM
Typical Buck

Skeeter is right. Boots must have enough room in them to allow proper circulation. If you have a long walk to your stand, bring extra liners / socks. When you get to your stand, remove your boots and socks, let your feet dry, put on a fresh pair of socks with a warmer in each boot.
With me, my feet are the first place to get cold. I have found that if I keep my trunk and head warm, my feet tend to stay warmer. If you will be on the stand for a long while, bring something to eat for energy. Keeping your feet warm is more about keeping them dry and keeping your whole body warm than just buying extreme weather boots.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

I use a polypropylene liner and and wool sock with a 400 gram thinsulate Muck boot. In extreme cold where I will be sitting I will top off with auninsulated Gortex sock. Cold feet are a thing of the past.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK Dont laugh here but if you really want circulation in the stand get the hottest pepper you can find and carry one to the stand with you. When you start to feelthe chill creeping in take a bite of the pepper.....it isnt a cure all but it sure helps. Maybe the mouth burning makes you forget about being cold but I have had good luck with it..lol.

Quick Reply: Smartwool Extra Heavy Hunting Socks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.