Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

RETRACTABLE OR FIXED BROADHEADS

Old 06-20-2007, 10:35 AM

Default RETRACTABLE OR FIXED BROADHEADS

WHAT DO YOU PREFER?
Old 06-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: RETRACTABLE OR FIXED BROADHEADS

You cant go wrong with 100gr Muzzy broadheads.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:27 PM

Magnus Stingers

Old 06-27-2007, 03:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

when i bow hunted, i used retractable broadheads.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:48 PM

I use Crimson Talon Black Mamba 100gr retractable broadheads. I'm not tryin to sound like an ad but to me they really do fly just like my field points. I only use retractables for deer or similer game. If I'm hunting turkeys I use fixed blades.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:32 AM

I tried mechanicals one season and wounded two elk. Never recovered and possitive they did not die. (No blood, etc.) Yes they fly like your field point, but at what cost. I think the majority of bow ghunters will agree that mechanicals are best used on smaller game like deer, antelope, rabbits, etc. If you're going to use them at all. Reason is, the mechanicals spend some of the impact energy upon contact just to open. So you get less penetration. On a smaller animal this is not as critical.

In short, I will never use them again. I can't see using more than one type of BH when tuning my bow and there are too many resons NOT to use mechanicals and not enough reasons TO use them. I'm sticking with my NAP 100gr Crossfires.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

For deer sized game and under,I use mechanical,for elk and (hopefully soon) moose fixed cut on contact is only way to go.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cut on Contact fixed for me, works great on deer through moose. I have had excellent results with Magnus and now use Steelforce, awesome head and company in my experience. As far as traditional fixed bh's Muzzy & Thunderheads never let me down either. I will not use expandables on the account of larger then deer sized gameI hunt with the sticks.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:53 AM
Dominant Buck

I tried mechanical and wasn't satisfied with the performance. They flew great and were extremely accurate but I feel a fixed blade like Muzzy or Thunderhead is better at killing deer sized animals.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

I liked my Bear broadheads that were 2 blade but have now been forced to get Magnus 2 blades..As I could not get the Bear 2 blades here, I also choose to shoot heavey weights ( 145 gr. ) so, I will keep with fixed...

Quick Reply: RETRACTABLE OR FIXED BROADHEADS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.