Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Looking for a quality backpack/daypack

Old 12-16-2002, 08:25 PM

Default Looking for a quality backpack/daypack

I bought a nice pack from, I believe, Rocky Mountain Packs two years ago. I'm very pleased with the pack, but it has two compartments rather than one. That's fine for clothes and carrying a lunch and drink, but I need one that could hold the meat from a boned-out whitetail. Some of the places I hunt are quite a distance in and I'd rather pack a deer out than try to drag it. I'm not talking about places out West, but even in PA a person can find himself a long distance from the road or on a steep sidehill where dragging is just not a pleasant thought. I want a pack that could handle the meat from a deer when needed and still be light enough to wear all day without causing fatigue. Does anyone have experience with a comfortable pack that could carry my clothes and double as a deer pack? How about Kifaru or some other company that makes excellent packs? Websites would be very helpful as well. Thanks. Matt
Old 12-17-2002, 12:49 PM

Default RE: Looking for a quality backpack/daypack

I used a Kifaru Longhunter Hauler this year for bow and rifle hunting. It has it's own daypack attached at the top of the main pack, it is relatively light, very comfortable and extremely well made - it cost about $ 285. I packed camp in and out several times with it and packed a whole pronghorn (85 lbs) nearly a mile with no problems. It is definitely the best pack I have ever used. Go to Kifaru.net
Old 01-02-2003, 08:24 PM
Spike

Default RE: Looking for a quality backpack/daypack

I have the "Dwight" Hunting pack. It is a plastic frame with two packs. A large top load and a small fanny style pack. Both of them can be taken off and used seperatly. The frame has many points to accept 1" nylon straps. Very nice. I took mine to Colorado last year. No meat but hauled lots of gear.

Do a "Google" search on "Dwight backpack" one sight has it for $99.

Cabelas has it and a new bigger model.

Good luck,
Dayton