Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS recommendations

Old 10-21-2003, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: GPS recommendations

I bought a rino 120.
I am new to a hunting club and I am not totally familiar with the property.
I was looking to download a topo map into the rino.

I understand that there is a topo map cd available from Garmin.

I was wondering if there is a way to download a map from the internet, customize the map and then download into the GPS.

Is this possible?

Thanks
Bill
Old 10-21-2003, 12:55 PM

Just a couple of GPS comments to throw in the mix, based on my experience over almost 10 years using my very old, very basic Garmin.

Using a stored " route" in the woods with a GPS is tough/impossible - because you need a certain amount of steady forward movement for the thing to track your direction. In otherwords, you have to walk a little ways off the route before it tells you that you' re off. When you' re dodging trees, stumps, logs, creeks, swamps, etc. you have virtually no steady movement so it doesn' t work well and you can easily end up being very frustrated.

On the other hand, my unit (and I imagine most) have a setting where you can have it put a dot with a label on the screen for nearby way points (e.g. car, deer stand, boat, duck blind) and another dot where I am at the moment. I simply look at the relative positions of the dots and adjust my direction up, over and around the obstructions. Kind of like having a beacon in the distance that you home in on - it' s not giving you a " route" , but an accurate goal.

In open country or on the water, the above doesn' t apply and you can use the features that actually set a route for you to follow.

In other words. the " track back" or route feature, I' ve found tough to use in the woods, but very usable on the open water.

My GPS is not a substitute for a compass - maybe some have compasses as well? Again, you need to be moving in order for it to give you a directional or compass reading. If you' re standing somewhere and you want to decide which way is " north" a compass works better.

On a river or in the woods, I' ve found GPS to be handy, but really as an adjunct for a good topo map (and compass, see above). It' s best if you can use a topo and a general awareness of where you are on that map using landmarks and compass without the GPS (which I luckily developed in the years of using topo maps w/o GPS). I always try to use the topo as if I didn' t have the GPS. If I' m hopelessly $&*ked up, I can use the GPS to get me close and the topo' s land features pinpoint after that.

All of this is especially true on a small twisty river - my GPS won' t give me an exact pinpoint if the bends in the river are tight and close together, but it will give me useful info, especially visavis important land marks like lakes we want to hike into, or waterfalls and rapids coming up.

My friends bought a set of the radio/GPS combo units from Cabelas and were dissatisfied with them and returned them. Don' t know brand or model or if they were defective, but they told me they just weren' t useful. They said the radio didn' t work nearly as well as a normal FRS or GMRS. As you know, return wasn' t a problem w/ Cabelas. To me, the idea of the combo units is excellent, and I' d like to try them myself.

99% of the time I use the absolutely most basic features: answering the question where am I and/or where do I want to go. Waypoints are handy. I use the speedo and distance traveled a *lot* and it is very accurate. (have the hand held semi-permanently installed in the boat). -zeke

Old 10-22-2003, 07:59 PM

S4bill go to easygps.com.You should be able to find what you asked for there.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:08 PM

reddneckk the Garmin etrex legend wiould be the one your looking for.They are going for 142..00 on ebay.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

victorlvlb,
thanks for the website. I downloaded the program and I am going to use it put it waypoints. It is a free program that manages waypoints but do the maps you have to buy software.

Do you know if there a free program that will allow you to import topo maps?
Old 10-27-2003, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

I have the Garmin Legend, and absolutely love it. I am from Northern Wisconsin, so it is tough to gain reception sometimes in the deep woods, but other than that I love the features. I use the hunt/fish calculator for best and good times for deer/fish movement, it gives details about the moon, lots of waypoint space, and best of all it can be linked to your computer (allows downloads) so you can upload/download waypoints onto maps which is VERY helpful.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:45 PM

Purchased my Vista from gpsdiscount.com. It was sbout 250.00.Very good service.

Joe