Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Summit SwifTree Review

Old 10-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default Summit SwifTree Review

have been a big fan of Summit products and have always given them praise. I own the Summit Viper climber and a set of the Bucksteps and they are top notch. I also think that their customer service is excellent from past experiences.

I recently bought a set of Summit SwifTree steps and I am very disappointed. The overall construction is high quality; however, the means to attach them to the tree is less than exceptable IMO. You are supposed to secure the sticks to the tree by tying them to the tree. Luckily, I am knowledgeable of knots based on my childhood Boy Scout experience. As most of you know, it is very difficult to get leverage on most fasteners that manufacturers are using today. Most don't have a ratchet type mechanism to secure them to the tree and require you to get in compromising positions to ensure that they are securely fastened. By the third section, I would be tired of messing with the rope and trying to get the sections secure. If your were able to get the sections tight it would be difficult to get the knot undone after climbing up the SwifTree for an entire season. Just as an FYI, I removed the ropes off of the SwifTrees and utilized an extra set of strap fasteners from my Bucksteps. I am able to get them fairly tight to the tree and not jeopardize my safety when climbing the tree in low light situations.

The sticks are reasonably priced at $49.99 but price doesn't matter when you are talking tree stand safety. I would rather them raise the price a bit and provide a better alternative for fastening the SwifTree sticks to the tree in a secure manner.

I have attached a link to the instruction guide from their website if anyone is interested in reviewing.

http://images.ebsco.com/pob/summit/c...r_swiftree.pdf

Has anyone else utilized the SwifTree and do you have the same opinion? Overall I would rate this product a C. As I stated earlier, the construction is of good quality. I will report its overall durability after I get to utilize them over the archery seaon. If they would come up with a better means to fasten the sticks to the tree I would rate them a B+ as long as the price doesn't go up significantly. If the price go up very much I think that there are better sticks on the market for this price range.