Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Where do you buy your gear

Old 10-13-2006, 09:38 AM

Default RE: Where do you buy your gear

Thanks Tigerfan, that did help.

My dad is a hunter and a fisherman and I know he watches a lot of the hunting and fishing shows. I really do need some feedback on this one, because I am getting sponsorship opportunities pitched to me all the time. I know why they big guys do it, the sponsorships are probably just a drop in their marketing budget. We smaller companies have to be a little more careful in our choices.

I've heard of the Realtree shows and I know of Ted Nugent's show. I've also seen some opinions expressed on other forums that a lot of the guys who host these shows are not "real" hunters. Just wondering what the opinion is here.

Thanks for all the input so far. I appreciate it.

GSG
Old 10-13-2006, 10:16 AM

I use mom and pops and cabelas bargain bastment just pick up some under armour from cabnelas witer top and summer pants ( they didnt have winter ones in stock in the bargain bastment in my size but i spent with shipping 57.00 for tops and bottomsthe only problem is selecting your colors you get what they have left ,my top is orange and my bottoms are brown but its a base layer
Old 10-13-2006, 11:57 AM

I've also seen some opinions expressed on other forums that a lot of the guys who host these shows are not "real" hunters.
You have to realize that the same people that posted that are probly the biggest Monday morning quarterbacks there are. I have seen first hand what jealousy can bring to the deer woods, and a lot of that is plain and simple jealousy. Sure they get to hunt some of the best places there are but, anyone can with the right amount of money. The last time I checked they still sit in a blind or tree just like I do, only they have the pressure of producing a show and their livelyhood depends on it. That's what I like about Uncle Ted, he doesn't only shoot big bucks or trophies and preaches deer conservation and management. Waddell from Road Trips show what the camp life is all about and I really enjoy that, plus he is funny as all get out. I have often wished I could hunt for a living but, then I remember that you get skunked more often then win out. i've hunted ranches in Texas and it isn't as easy as everyone thinks. You don't just go out there and whistle them up. They may have more good bucks then what I have on my propety but, it's because they have managed their herd for decades and I haven't. We have been doing it for 14 years and have gone from 2 year old basket racked 8 points to 4 and 5 year old 10 points that will score 140 +. In North Louisisana that is a monster. Don't let your decisions rely soley on what you read on these forums. This is just a slim few of what your market realy is. Hope this helps.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:29 PM

Tigerfan,

I do try to take everything I read on the forums with a grain of salt. I know there are a lot of different opinions out there. One forum or poster may be strongly opposed to something and another may be strong for it.

That's why I spend time on these forums and ask the questions I ask. I want to get the widest range of opinions possible so I can make the best decisions for my company and my product.

I really appreciate you taking the time to tell me what you think. It does help.

GSG
Old 10-13-2006, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

Personally, I get all thecatalogs Cabela's Redhead Gander a bunch more. If I am in need of a product I look at the ones I like then head over to Ebayand elsewhere online to find the best price.
Most of the time even with shipping I can save alot by buying online.
Bought a plow for the ATV. Here locally they wanted $475 installed.
Got online bought the same exact thing with warranty, for $285 with $65 for shipping. Installation was a breeze andsaved $125 bucks.
I have saved thousands shopping online.
Thats my proccess and is how I do all my shopping. Not just for hunting stuff almost everything.Even bought my $45,000 Bucket truck online. Had to fly to CA to pick it up but still saved over $7500 big ones from the ones they had local.
I will say they put in a Sportsmans Warehouse in about 85 miles away, thier prices are pretty good and will call them last to see if the drive justifies the savings.
My last online purchase was 1 dozen NAP Shockwaves $31 including shipping. Just can't beat the internet now days in most instances.
So for those of you marketing or selling a product for me anyway it's now the internet. When looking on Ebay it does not make the product look cheap too me.
I know what I want and will shop for the bargin. There are plenty of name brand goods there. Yes there is a lot of junk from Japan and China, but I go there looking for a product that has already been reaseached and is in the Cataloges of the major outfits.
However the thing that might prompt me to purchase would be an advertisement on a show, in a cataloge or some other form of advertisement.
But to purchase it's the internet.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

I have been hunting and purchasing equipment for over 40 years. I used to buy stuff mail-order from Herter's when they were around and have bought from Cabela's and L.L. Bean due to their service and warranties. I also when looking for the tech aspects of something purchase from knowledgeable mom and pop shops. I use e-bay when I have all the info and know what I want and can save a few bucks on ebay. Hunting shows and what the pro hunters use really doesn't influence my buying decision. I also play golf and because some prowon a tournament with this latest greatest doesn't mean it will work for me, plus I don't want to pay the high price for his endorsement contract. Same goes for outdoor equipment just because it made a roadtrip doesn't mean a thing to me.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:17 AM

Thanks for the input everyone. I really appreciate you taking the time and giving me such good information.

We are selling on our web site now, and working to set up our network for retailers. I think we will eventually have a nice mix of the bigger stores and the smaller local retailers.

Stuff like what has been posted here is really helpful because it allows me to get the opinion of a lot of different types of hunters. Obviously, my company won't be able to please everyone, but learning as much as I can will help me get closer to that goal.

Thanks again,

GSG