Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Artic Sheild

Old 08-27-2006, 09:19 AM

Default Artic Sheild

Has anyone tried the Artic Sheild clothing. It is usually not that cold here in Ky. but the older I get the harder it is to set in the cold. I've noticed that the price has went down some in the last 2 or 3 years. Is it worth the money?
Old 08-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Artic Sheild

I was thinking the same thing last summer.So I went to basspro and bought it.It is some really great stuff.I used it during gun season in ky last year and it was in the pouring down rain.I never got cold or wet I just went ahead and bought the whole suit.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:22 PM

I've got the gloves and boot blankets, and they work OK. But, they were not what I expected, and they do get a little loud in colder weather.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:47 PM

Hey Criggster, when did you put the boot covers on? When I tried the older version two years ago, I didn't put them on until @ an hour after up in a treestand, due to immediate deer activity. I called the company to ask why my feet got cold and she told me to put them on as soon as you get set up after walking, which is whenyour feet are their warmest. She also said to remember that they are not insulators but "retainers of existing heat". I purchased the latest versions because they are easier to fiton the boot while up in the air and thought of dropping a fresh handwarmer inside because of the extra room. Guess we'll find out how it works soon enough.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:51 PM

im from ky too, but i only have their gloves. I have an H4 pullover on backorder at the bass pro in nashville tho. The gloves work great for me. My hands are always the only part of me that gets cold, but not anymore. I mainly like how it works great without the bulk of insulation.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:21 AM

I walked about a quarter to a half mile, and as soon as I was in the stand I put them on! They do keep your feet warmer, but mine still got cold after a few hours (20 degree weather) I decided to put some of the charcoal warmers in them upon putting them on, and now my feet stay toasty warm all day long!
Old 08-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

i seem to remember mixed reviews on the suits too. i would do a search on the topic.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Artic Shield

Yea the boot blankets need some experimenting to be effective. Mine need something because they weren't the ticket for me last year. I think I'm going to take my boots off and just wear those like slippers this year with somewarmers inside. Don't relish the thought of putting my boots back on though.

Trying out different socks this year. Just bought some made out of alpaca wool or what ever it is they use. They are very heavy I'll say that. Got a couple from cabela's as well. There isn't a big selection out there for some reason.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Artic Shield

Ibought the H1 coat & bibs & have been using them for 2 years, they are great & usually have to unzip the coat,it gets hot.