Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

650 Rincon, great ride, low power??

Old 07-20-2006, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 650 Rincon, great ride, low power??

I bought a 650 honda last year, it's used but in great shape, looks brand new. I love the suspension, it's great for my old back but the power just really sucks. I put 26" wheels and mudders on the thing when I bought it and I know that hurt theget up and gosome but both my wife's honda 450 and my little yamaha 250 will blow it off the trail. I,m suspecting something is wrong. I put a new spark plug in it and that didn't help. It doesn't smoke at all and starts easily. Anybody got any ideas, could the valves be that bad out of adjustment. I rode a friends yamaha the other day, 660 I think, and it's got the twice the power mine has.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 650 Rincon, great ride, low power??

Oh yeah, the valves being out of adjustment can really tone the power down.

Do you know how to set up your plug for a reading and how to read what the plug is saying? I'd like to see what the plug sez.

Also, make sure none of your brakes are dragging. That's easy, fire up your machine and ride it a good distance without using the brakes. Then feel the brake hubs or wheels to see if they're dragging and the friction is creating heat.

I've also seen where guys have accidentally placed a rag or something over an intake to air box - that can really kill power.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Matt, I don't have a clue on the plug reading. I can read plugs in a race car, shut the power off while wide open and coast to the pits and check the color of the plug but I'm not for sure about a 4 wheeler.
I've looked for restrictions to the breather or in the breather, havn't found any.
I also smell a little gas when I shut it off but I can't find a leak.
I need to get me a manual so I can figure out how to adjust the valves.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:08 PM

Thats strange that it doesn't have the power it should. I would take it to the shop and have them look it over. If anything major is wrong it should be under warranty?? Never heard of a honda that didn't have power behind it. I've had 4 includeing the rancher 4x4 that I have now. It will either pull it or spin out. Wish I had a bigfoot kit on mine.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah chief, start w/ a fresh plug and do like you would on the race car - shut er down and glide to stop. Hondas are usually pretty good on gas - has this one been?

Maybe it's getting too much gas and the plug will read rich. Running rich might cost ya plugs and fuel, but running lean could damage/cost ya a motor (or minumum burnt valve)so take care of a lean condition right away. Good luck.

I'm heading out today for one of my kinda rare recreational rides on my Bruin.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

UncleMatt, my gas mileage is terrible, I even smell gas after I shut it off. I'll do the plug check this afternoon if Ihave time.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I fixed my power problem, I traded it for a Polaris 700.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Typical Buck

I traded mine in on a zuke vinson 500. Only had it a year, i didnt like nothing about it. The vinson a have now would leave it sitting and rides alot better. It's alot easier to work it around in the woods too.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anthony, same with my polaris, extremely smooth going over the bumps and in the woods and man, the power is awsome compared to the rincon.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

The 700 polaris is a true brute bud! I've road one and they'll get away with you if you dont watch. A 500 should'nt be able to smoke a 650. My zuke would toast my old rincon. I did'nt like nothing about it. I'd say the polaris was a good choice..

Quick Reply: 650 Rincon, great ride, low power??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.