Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

How to balance a binocular purchase

Old 07-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How to balance a binocular purchase

Well, I took the plunge!

I went back to Bass Pro on Monday, & compared several pairs against the Zeiss that I liked so much. TheLeupold Golden Rings were much better than the Nikon Monarch's, but still not close to the Zeiss. The Leica's were wonderful, but the Zeiss felt better in my hands, and seemed to make things "come alive" for my eyes.

I tried for quite a while, but I couldn't find anywhere on-line where they were discounted below Bass Pro's $1599.99 price. Then I noticed a "close-outs" flyer in my latest box of ammo that I ordered from Natchez Shooter's Supplies,and they had theZeiss 8x42 FL's for $1199.00.

I couldnt' believe it, so I called today, and was told that they were display models from the SHOT show, but they were absolutely unblemished, and that all original warranties would apply. Plus, they were actuallyonly $1159.00.

I didn't want to spend this kind of money when I started out, but these glasses were far and away the best that I tried, and I feel like I got a tremendous deal on 'em.

I can't wait to get 'em!

Thanks for your help,

F.C.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

You may question if it was really worth spending that money now, but come October, you'll have no doubt. Good luck!
Old 07-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default WOW!!!

I took 'em on a test-hop this weekend at a gorge, and they were wonderful! On an all-day hike, I hardly knew they were there. And they felt like a natural extension of my eyes whenever I looked through them. I'm gonna give my old glasses to my 11 year old!

My girlfriend said "Wow!" so many times while using them, that I might start to doubt myself in moments of intimacy!
Old 07-09-2006, 07:28 PM

On my elk hunt, both myself and my hunting partner had nice german glass (me with my optolyth alpin 10x50 and my buddy with his leica BN 10x50) BUT!! our guide had and used a pair of Nikon Monarchs in 8x40. The view was escellent considering that they cost 289 bucks. My guide was impressed enough with hten to use them exclusively.
And yes in my experience there is a big diff between the cheapo glass and the 300 doller glass. But it is indeed harder to discern the diff between the 500 doller glass and the 1000 dollar glass. As the famous optics guru Holger Merlitz says, when you get the the ultra high end binos, the quality is so good among all of them that what makes the difference is styling and ergonomics.
Pick up the cuurent issue of outdoor life and you will see alot of binos reviewed. The bushnell legends scored high and was a best buy. Betwen 300 and 400 bucks street price. Just make sure you get waterproof and fog proof and FULLY multicoated glass as well as Phase corrected prisms (phase correction is needed only on roof prisms and not porro prisms.
okcmco
Old 07-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

I did the same test and was sold on the Steiner Merlins (way better tha the Predators in my opinion). They just fit my face way better than all the rest and were optically equal or better than all the other brands I tried. (Nikon, Zeiss, Cabelas, Bushnell, Pentax & Leupolds). The secret isto get whatworks for you.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

You won't regret your purchase.My 10x40 ziess classics are now 14 years old,and I don't ever see the need to buy another pair of binoculars.