Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Digital Game Cam

Old 03-22-2006, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Digital Game Cam

I am considering the purchase of a Moultrie 3.1 digital. Just curious if anyone has used 1. If so how does it perform. I have heard the rechargable 6 volt batteries are junk but this 1 comes with a solar panel that helps keep the charge. Here is the pic of it.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:26 AM

Default RE: Digital Game Cam

I dont actually own the camera, but I have customers who use it, and my grandfather has one. I have seen pictures from my grandfathers and they look great.
The rechargeable battery actually works great for the camera, its the alkaline 6 Volts that are terrible. Since you have the solar panel with that camera you dont have to worry about recharging the battery, unless its cloudy for several days.
When you need replacement 6 Volt rechargeables, they can be found here:
http://www.bohannonbattery.com/html/sla.html

Josh

Old 03-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

I've had the opportunity to test 12 digital scouting cameras and the Moultrie cameras have been disappointing. If you would like, you can go to the website below and read the reviews. There are much better cameras available.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

The rechareable batteris from Moultrie work great in this camera. I used a regular one the first go round and it drained it in no time. As far as the camera goes I've had some issued with it. Picture quality is great but I've had problems with it taking pics. I set it up on the same tree as my homebrew and it missed 9 pictures. All 9 of those were deer walking perpidicular to the camera at around 25-30 feet. I read some places that guys were having the same problems so to fix it they were having better luck setting the camera around 20 inches off the ground. I tried this the past week and had much better results. I had more pictures this week then the past 4 combined. It could be dumb luck from just using a different trail but I believe the camera needs to be lower than most.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:22 PM

It is important to set this camera about 20 inches off the ground. I have gotten pictures of a rabbit, and a squirrel walking by. Some of them work good and some do not. The company is good about replacing any defective ones though. The site www.chasingame.com is a comsumer reports kind of place. They test cameras and tell you what they found. lots of helpful hints too. As with many things, you get what you pay for.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:47 PM
Fork Horn

Snoogs, have you tested the trailghost P41LE www.trailghost.com or the Pennswoods Ds-o4, www.Pennswoods.com ? I have cameras made by both of these companies and wondered how they stack up. They are very similar because they both use a Sony 4.1 megapixel removable camera.

I think they are awesome, I bought the Penn's when Cabelas had them marked wrong at 400 something, but found the Trailghost P41LE to work just as good for a lot less. I like removeable cameras, it makes the wife happy when she can use them on vacation

What do you think about these cams?
Old 04-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't have that particular model , but I have the 1.3 mp and have been pretty satisfied with it so far . I have a rechargeable gel battery purchased from Sportsman's Guide for $10 , and a $20 solar recharge panel from Bass Pro for it , the regular lantern batteries just weren't enough . Here's an example pic from it:

Caught a pic of my self by accident while checking a dripper . LOL

The improvement that a 3.1 would impart should be noticeable . If it has the heat sensor it would definitely be worthwhile .
Old 04-16-2006, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

i have a gamespy 100 and it works pretty good.the batteries are okay too except they dont last long, maybe 2 weeks before you have to recharge them. i have the solar panel charge and it keeps the batteries going except i dont use it on public land, its big and people will see it. heres some reviews http://www.jesseshunting.com/reviewp...at.php/cat/226
Old 04-17-2006, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Beards,

What megapixel is the Gamespy??
Old 04-18-2006, 07:58 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: cybersniper

Beards,

What megapixel is the Gamespy??
Mine is also the Game Spy 100 , it's 1.3 megapixels .

Quick Reply: Digital Game Cam

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.