Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

I need some good heraing protection

Old 03-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default I need some good heraing protection

I needs some good hearing protection for the new Smith 460 I just picked up. I'm talking about for hunting. In the past I have hunted with 44 mags and once with a 454 without hearing protection and I am not going to try that again.Ineed something I can wear and still hear well enough to leave them on. what are some suggestions??
Old 03-18-2006, 10:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I need some good heraing protection

I've heard, nope scratch that... I can't hear anymore, anyway Walkers Game Ear is supposed to be pretty good.
I get hearing tests every year at work, and it is always getting worse! I wear hearing protection at work, working with power tools, and at the gun range, I have not mastered wearing hearing protection while hunting though!
I just can't hear game or myself, if I'm making too much noise, so I haven't worn protection while hunting. If you find something that works, post it so we'll all know about it!
I just got a pair of muffs again for the shooting range, and I don't like them! (and if you don't like them, or they are uncomfortable, you ain't gonna wear 'em!)
They hit against the stocks of my rifles, and throw me off. So for the time being, the best I've found are the foam inserts. The db. rating on most of the inserts are higher than on the muffs, with less weight and bulk! Good luck!
Old 03-19-2006, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I need some good heraing protection

There are ear plugs that have baffles in them that lets you hear normal noise, but is activated by loud impulse noises like gun shots. They run about $10 a pair. I personally find all plugs to be uncomfortable, and always seem to be losing them. So instead I wad a piece of paper towel or toilet paper wet it with saliva.It is more comfortable than plugs, cheap, always handy and does a good job of reducing the noise. I'm out in the fieldseveral days a week training dogs using 209 primer pistols and find the paper plugs to be convenient to use and offer good protection. I use them as well for all my hunting including waterfowl and big game.