Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

looking for binoculars

Old 02-26-2006, 07:13 PM

Default looking for binoculars

I am looking for a pairaround $100-175 or less and i was wondering if anyone had some they like in that price range with good optics.

Also was wondering if anyoneuses the Bushnell H20 model and what they think of them.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: looking for binoculars

With optics, you generally get what you pay for.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

The H20s aren't that bad especially when you consider the price. However, compared to phase coated roofs in the $250-$350 range the image on the H2Os is dimmer with less contrast and resolution. At that price point I would look at the now discontinued Nikon Sporters (Sporter 1). They are selling from as little as $100 to $175 most places including Cabelas. Optical quality is the best I have seen for a roof prism binocular at that price point.

In addition, I also like the Nikon Action Extreme 8x40 and the Bushnell Legend in an equivalent configuation. Both porro prism models are less expensive to manufacture and thus less expensive to sell to the consumer. Both are waterproof and have very good optical qualities...bright image, good resolution, wide field of view. The only downside is that the porro design is a bit less compact than an equivalent roof prism design.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:20 PM

Brunton Eterna bonoculars are really nice, you might be able to find some in your price range if they are on sale.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:10 PM
Spike

Nyhunter, I purchased the Bushnell H20 10x42 's last year. Previously I had always used much cheaper compact models.The H20's held up to my expectations throughout deer season last fall. For the price, I personally think they are a great set of binoculars. I was able to focus through brush and also examine deer at a distance.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

Wholesale Hunter has Nikon binocs on a closeout sale, about $125.00.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:25 PM

In the price range you mention, you are better off going with a set of Porro Prism Binoculars as opposed to a set of roof prism binoculars. Porros are the traditional design where the objectives are offset wider than the eye pieces. The roof prisms are arrayed in a straight line. You usually get the same performance at twice the price in a roof prism bino. But the trade off is that porro prism binos are bulkier and heavier (If you are backpack hunting, you need to spend more anyway so spend 250-500 on a good set of roofs.)
On ebay you can find very good condition pairs of Carl Zeiss Jena East German binos in 8x30 for 75-100 bucks. Make sure they are multicaoted. Also look at a used pair of stieners. OR Keep your eyes peeled for a good set of Jap binos. You can find a pair of Bausch & Lomb Legacy 10x50 or 8x40 for under 100 bucks. Mine cost me 55 on ebay. These are excellent rubber armoured multicoated Japanese binos. They are not too heavey and easy to hold and to focus. I take mine everywhere.
The Swift Audubons are VERY GOOD binoculars. The newer ones are waterproof and have great optics, being made in japan and not China (like the nikon action and Monarch)
But the bargain champ in my book is the SIGHTRON SII series. Very good optics, waterproof, attractive and rubber armoured. These will set you back about 95 bucks. Go to ebay and search Sightron SII 10x42 Binoculars
You also need to check out holger merlitz' page. He knows about binos!
His Website is www.holgermerlitz.de. He has alot of reviews of military and civilian binos.
Good luck
okcmco