Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Bang for the Buck scope!!!

Old 02-26-2006, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bang for the Buck scope!!!

As you can tell by the topic I'm looking for a scope, somewhere in the price range of $200. The rifle is a 742Rem carbine 06.The average shot is around 150 yards, but no further than 300. It already has a bushnell trophy 3x9 mounted on it, andthat'solder than dirt. So I know what ever I get will be an upgrade . I've been snooping around at the nikon buckmasters 3x9x40thats 2 bills along with the pro staff for $150. Nikon does'nt have to be the one, so any imput and recommendations are welcomed thanks
Old 02-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bang for the Buck scope!!!

Look for a Burris fullfield with BP recticle, think you would like the scope. I have 2 of them and they perform very well. You can usually ebay them for $165-170.00 for 3x9x40mm.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

The bushnell elite 3200 is great value for the price.

Old 02-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

if it were me i would stay clear of any burris[:'(] scope. do yourself a favor and save another 70$ and get a LEUPOLD VARIX II. if you think about it thats a couple of trips to Mc Donalds. you could probably get a used in new condition off ebay for close to 200$. i have a rem. 742 in 308 and it has a 30$ bushnell sportview on it. it was the first scope i ever purchased back in the late 80-s. i believe alot of the old bushnells were made in japan. i dont know if that means its quality and parts are a little better than todays cheapo scopes but i have killed black bear and caribou with my bushnell sportview and in some extreme temperatures . i will probably upgrade in a couple years though.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 3200's are about 100$ less then the VX-IIs and are just as bright plus have rainguard. I personally been selling my Leupolds for the Bushnells I have enough of both to do alot of side by sides and theres no doubt the Bushnells are brighter close to dark.

I dont have any Nikon socpes but my bud has a couple and likes them. I would stay away from the prostaffs though they arent the quality of the Buckmasters or Monarchs.

You can goto www.opticstalk.com and they have some good forums on hunting scopes. If you do much research youll see that the Leupolds by alot of peoples opinions not just mine are very overpriced and overrated.

Heres a couple places to get some good prices.
www.ebinoculars.com
www.natchezss.com
www.samplelist.com
Old 02-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow!! thanks for the replys people.

yeah duck,I talked to a buddy about the pro staff, hesaid the same thing for a few bucks morego buckmasters better light and clearity, the monarches are just more money than I care to drop. Thanks for the sights I'll check them out.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nikon Buckmaster. It's not cheap, but it's in your price range and is about the lowest cost scope that still gets the job done well.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like stubblejumper said check out the Elite 3200. I have owned a number of elites and always been pleased with not one minute of troubles.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Fork Horn

I like all three brands nikon, leupold, and burris. I have had no troubles with any of them. I would go for the nikon buckmastersI have had this scope in the most extreme conditions you will find in the lower 48 and has always held up great, plus they have a good warrenty. But those burris are tough same with leupold. I have not owned a bushnell elite 3200 but do hear alot of good things about them from trustworthy people. I dont think you could go wrong with any of the above choices. goodluck
Old 02-27-2006, 12:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry but I have had great service out of the Pro Staffs....I have 2 of them...check one out and see for yourself. Dont take anybodys word for it...only by looking through as many as you can will you be able to determine which one you like.

Quick Reply: Bang for the Buck scope!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.