Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Best binocular power for bow hunting ?

Old 02-07-2006, 06:53 PM

Default Best binocular power for bow hunting ?

I can't decide between 8X42 and 10X42 for bow hunting deer. Can you folks give me your preference and WHY ? I anticipate most of my viewing distances to be 400 yards and less. I also do alot of low light viewing.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best binocular power for bow hunting ?

With a set of quality optics, I like a 10x42.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

This is almost as controversial a topic as single versus dual cam, carbon versus aluminum, etc...

I prefer 8x for hunting and bowhunting in particular but you have to keep in mind where I hunt and the conditions I hunt in. In my neck of the woods most shots are relatively close due to foliage, topography, etc... If I can see more than 30 or 40 yards in any direction then I am not in a thick enough spot. I may have some areas that I can see great distances but I am not set up there because of it.

An 8x binocular (in comparison to a 10x) provides a brighter sight picture, larger exit pupil and greater field of view and greater depth of field.All can be especially beneficial at close to moderate ranges in low light situations. However, you mentioned glassing way out to 400 yards. In which case, the 10x should hold some advantage , assuming you can hold the binocular steady enough to actually gain something from the increase in magnification. I say this because it is a generally accepted fact that 10x bins are more difficult to hold as steady an image as 8x bins. I have personally found that higher quality glass and better optical coatings actually are more beneficial to seeing detail at longer distances in comparsion to just increasing magnification in a less expensive binocular.

Just some food for thought.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:49 PM

For that range, you are alright with either binocular, though I would check for porro or prism.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

I'd say 8x with and objective of over 40mm for those early/late times when the deer are moving the most.
also make sure the lenses are fully multi coted too.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:58 PM

10x42's work great out here in Wyoming, but we've got a lot of wide open spaces. If you are planning on using them back east, I'd go with the 8x42's.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:36 AM

Working in the optics field I would have to say the 8x42's would be the only way to go. Yes 10x will get you 2x the range , but at 400 yards you do not need that. As far as low light conditions you will not notice it enough to make a differance. You should check out Vortex. www.vortexoptics.com
Old 03-08-2006, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wanted a pair of binoculars just for bowhunting and turkey hunting, and went for the Bushnell Legends in the 8X32 power mainly for hunting here in NY. Weight was a factor as well. I'm completely impressed with these binoc's, and for less than $300.00, they will give the European brands a run for the money in optic clarity!! They also come standard with their new "rainguard" finish on the lenses. I don't like the real small compacts, nor the huge 10X42's. These are perfect for the task at hand.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Excellent point Maytom. Many of the 8x32 versions offer a very viable alternative to the 8x42 models if size and weight are major concerns. I hunted almost all of last season with a pair of 8x30 Zeiss Conquests and there really wasn't a time when I felt I needed more light gathering ability. Quality coatings on quality optics can definitely make up for some of the low light benefits of a larger glass.