Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Cabelas Alaknak vs Cotton Canvas Tent...

Old 01-17-2006, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default Cabelas Alaknak vs Cotton Canvas Tent...

I am in the process of narrowing down the choice between two hunting tents and am hoping to get some help.

The two I'm looking at is the Alaknak 12 x 14 that Cabelas sells and the Cotton Canvas Tent that is sold by a number of vendors (the one I'm looking at is the Montana Tent from Bass Pro Shops).

Comparing Apples and Oranges in functionality there is a significant descrepency in price... The Cabelas version is $ 730 for everything I'm looking for and the Cotton version is $ 1300 (meaning stoves, same size, etc...).

Does anybody have experience with either? I'm in Canada and expect using this tent hunting in subzero temperatures while Caribou Hunting in Nov-Dec; so insulation and staying dry is a key ingredient for me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:29 PM

Default RE: Cabelas Alaknak vs Cotton Canvas Tent...

Wall tents with 5 ft walls make standing very comfortable. Plus either tent should be fitted with a stove jack for those cold temperatures.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cabelas Alaknak vs Cotton Canvas Tent...

I have a 12x14 Montana Canvas wall tent that I purchased from Cabela's. I have a Cylinder brand wood burner with the hot water tank and a Kwik Kamp brand frame. I also have the lace in floor from Montana Canvas. I cover mine with a 16x20 poly tarp as a rain fly. I do this forthree reasons; the rain fly creates an airspace betweenitself and the tent roof that keeps condensation from forming inside the tent, it also causes snow to slide off rather than building up on the tent roof, and since the sides are wider than the tent it allows some covered space for storage along the tents exterior walls. I have used this set up since 2000. I have used it on mule deer and elk hunts in northern Wyoming. I have found the tent to be extremely stable, dry and comfortable. I would highly recommend both this style of tent and the Montana Canvas brand.

There are a few negatives that you may want to consider. Canvas tents are very heavy and cumbersome. They are difficult for one person to put up and take down, and require that you either have animals to pack them or camp next to the road. I have also found that when mine gets wet it takes it a while to dry. I mention this not because I have ever gotten wet inside -which I haven't - but due to storage requirements. It is very important that your tent be absolutely dry when you put it away for storage. Unless you have a heated building where you can spread it out this can be a problem.

I do not have any experience with the Relite type material that the Alaknak is made from. I can seesome some portability and setup advantages to the lighter material. Due to the differences in the weight of the two materials I doubt that the Alaknak would be as warm and as durable as a canvas tent, and I really like the stability and strength of an internal metal frame. In the end you'll have to decide which fits your style of hunting better. If you live within driving distance of aCabela's, Bass pro, etc. you might want to look at them before deciding.