Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Snowshoes

Old 12-04-2005, 09:17 PM

Default Snowshoes

Does anyone use snow shoes when they hunt and if you do how does it work? i am gettin a set for x-mas and plan to use then im pursuit of everything for rabbits in the snow to late season deer. i am looking at yukon charlie shoes now anyone know anything about them or how they work. any comments appreciated.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:46 PM

Default RE: Snowshoes

Hey 700,
I have had 2 pair of snowshoes. The first were gander mountain wood and rawhide ones. They were ok but a little combersome. I am currently using a pair of yukon charlies. They are just as nice as some of my friends tubbs or other exspensine ones.I bought the pair with poles at sams club of all places for about $35 bucks.I have used therm for three years and they still look /fit/feel brand new.I really like to snowshoe to the areas other hunters are to lazy to go.
Nathan
Old 12-09-2005, 03:12 PM

thanks footofthehills that what i was looking for was some one who had both kinds. thanks again
Old 12-09-2005, 04:53 PM

No prob,
I shoot a 700 and an 870 so I figured you were alright.
nathan
Old 12-11-2005, 08:53 AM

lol u just cant hardly beat remingtons can ya. thanks again
Old 12-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

www.snowstuf.com the montana snowshoes are amazing and light as a feather. i use to hunt with bear paw type shoes but with these snowshoes you can jog in them. i hunt snowshoe hares in maine where theres lots of big rocks and tight cover to turn around in. its a great set of shoes!
Old 12-13-2005, 02:18 PM

I have backpacked with snowshoes but have never hunted with them. Should be the same applications though. I use a set of traditional wood and leather shoes. the leather is covered with shellac. But I was looking at some in the sportsmans guide made of aluminum and nylon. These modern ones are light. For higher quality shoes, look to EMS (eastern Mountain Sports) and REI. These stores have a web presence and sell high quality yet affordable stuff.
If you are carrying a load with snowshoes on, expect it to be somewhat more strenuous. Your feet are spread farther apart than usual, and you need to really plant your foot before puuting all of your weight on it. So it's a bit more work.
Anyway, you will find it fun and very peaceful..............until you make your kill!!!!! You probably won't see anyone else out there.
okcmco
Old 12-14-2005, 06:09 PM

I like the old fashined style snowshoes personally due to they work so good when I'm walking across feilds and I only sink about 1 or 2inches, and last year I weighed 210 and wore probly 20 lbs of cloths and gear.

Liquidorange, how well do those shoes work? I hunt yotes in eastern washington county maine. Whare abouts are you at? Im looking for somethingnew to getinto the baits with once the snow hits.

Old 12-14-2005, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have lived in snow country my whole life and have always owned snowshoes. I presently use top of the line Faber Mountain Masters ( similar to Tubbs ). They are 10 x 36 aluminum synthetics. What you need to concentrate most on is the binding. The old style leather throng style are no hell for rabbit hunting where you have to switch direction constantly and zip in and out of trees. The newer ones with multiple ratchet style buckles are worth the extra money. Buy the best you can find and you will never regret it and your buddies will envy you as they fight with bindings and slip and slide all over the place. I love winter hunting on snow shoes. We hunt jack rabbits through February and its great fun.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have the ones from Cabella's, Alaskan Outfitters 10X36. (Not much of a choice back then)about 6 years.Worked great when I got them. Now I have to lose a little weightbut they still get me where I want to go.

Quick Reply: Snowshoes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.