Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Scent Lock

Old 12-03-2005, 08:35 AM

Default Scent Lock

I recently purchased Scent Lock Camo, however I am not very confident in it. It seems to emit its own kind of smell. I've followed the directions in terms of washing and drying to unlock the carbon, but it still has a smell all its own.

Has anyone experienced this also?

Also, it says to put it in the dryer for 40 mins. to unlock the carbon, but I am worried about my suit smelling like Downy, the fabirc softner my wife uses all the time.

In anycase, I would like to start a discussion on Scent Lock cloths.
Thanks all,
Mac
Old 12-17-2005, 03:50 PM
Spike

Default RE: Scent Lock

Experienced the same issues re., the smell, but so far it has not busted me. And I do see where it may help/actually work. I use it primarily for archery hunting where I've seen a significant enough improvement that I'm convinced it helps, as long as I follow my other de-scenting regime.

One issue I do have with it is it isvery stiffor not as soft and therefore somewhat more constricting with every step etc as opposed to either regular cotton, fleece or wool. And I find it has no insulating value whatsoever.

The new Savannah is improvement but still very stiff.

Curious-has anyone tried the new Base Slayers?
Old 12-17-2005, 10:26 PM

Guys-

I now have a season's experience with my Savanna suit and I was very impressed. My suit is always in the plastic scent-tight bag that you can buy. The bag has its own plastic smell but lets no human odor in. The smell you are describing is much like that it sounds like. The point of the suit is to trap human scent in the garment. Thats why cover scent is not necessary. I never thought the suit was stiff, and although its not as quiet as my Redhead Silent-Hide suit, it makes little noise when moving. Your right about no insulating value, but I don't think its designed as a cold-weather garment, its obviously for bowhunting , which is of course, normally earlier in the year. I did begin to wear a sweatshirt underneath mine bu the ens of bow season and it worked great. I have never been smelled or heard in my suit...I did get seen a couple times but that happens. I love it and would definetly recommend it to anyone who wants an edge and doesn't mind 150 bucks.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

if you down want ur stuff smelling like downy buys the clothing wash for scnet lok that scentless. I have a whole scent lok suit. I think the stuff is great.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:01 PM

Run a load without a dryer sheet before you put your scent lok in...then spray it with your favorite scent remover (lightly). Then put a handful of pine needles or leaves or whatever is around your hunting area in the bag with the clothes. That "new" smell will go away in no time. I swear by my Savannah. I wear it all year...bought it big enough to layer under and when it's really cold I wear it as a middle layer.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:33 PM

Guys- Each one of us has their own strategies but after talking with a Scent-Lok employee, I was told NOTto use cover scent whether manmade or natural and when you think about why, it makes sense: The point of Scent-Lok is to absorb and trapodor within the garment. If your spraying down with cover scent, or keeping pine needles with the garment, that scent is absorbed into the garment leaving less room to hold in human odor. I was told to spray down my boots and equipment but to leave the garment as scent free as possible so it would soak up my scent like a sponge. I bowhunted in it for 2 1/2 months and was never smelled once. Ya'll do works for you, but this concept makes sense to me so I'll stick with this method.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:58 AM

Just to clarify, I spray it with an ODORLESS scent remover and the pine needle thing was just in the begining when it's new. I know what he was talking about with that strange "new" smell the garments have. After a couple of times wearing it that will go away. Also, when you reactivate the garment, you need to be careful about what was in the dryer just before you. I wet a handful of clean rags and run them before I put my clothes in. My wife prefers this over the time I put an old sock filled with leaves in the dryer!
Old 12-20-2005, 03:53 PM

Wholelottagobble is dead on. I did the carbon suit research and read/found a lot of the same info as the guy from scent loc recommended. The carbon in the suit absorbs odors, and therefore anything “in the bag” is absorbed as well. This isn’t a big deal when you are talking about removing scent (any scent) from the nose of a game animal, but remember the carbon “sponge” characteristics. As with any sponge, it has a saturation point, so eventually the efficiency of odor absorption goes down with time. Of course, this is why you run your suit at high heat in the dryer to reactivate (wring out) the carbon.

As stated earlier, scent loc is just part of a good scent free scheme. Since it can become saturated and loose efficiency, it should not be relied on as primary scent control.

I’ve met a few hunters that like the scent loc undergarments much better than the outer garments. One friend uses his as a base layer, and then layers up from there depending on the weather/hunting environment.

I personally started out with a 2-piece suit. It was noisy, and I did notice that “new” smell at first. The pants were very binding and I eventually ripped the crotch out stepping over a log. I’ve since went to a coverall option. It is comfortable to move in, and I got it a little big so I can layer with it.

I currently utilize the following scent elimination/reduction/control scheme:

1. Scent free hunters body wash / shampoo from 2 weeks prior to season until end of season.
2. Scent elimination detergent in the washer.
3. Vanishing Hunter scent elimination spray on body after shower before hunting.
4. Any brand scent elimination spray on clothing & gear

My layers are now:
--X-scent thermals, socks, & balaclava (read the threads on x-scent and/or clothing with silver threads woven into them. I firmly stand by this product as I have personally field tested this to an extreme with great results).
--Fleece top and pants
--Advantage Timber 3-D suit
--Heavy winter weight Gortex coveralls.

I use the scent loc coveralls anywhere as a layer between the x-cent thermals to the winter coveralls, depending on the season & weather. I believe in the science behind it, and will continue to use it.

Another good thing is to keep all your gear in plastic bags with a freshly activated suit. It will pull any odors out of your other gear on the trip to the hunting spot.

Sorry I got a bit long winded. Happy hunting fella’s!
Old 12-24-2005, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had an entire year with a Scent Blocker suit and I love it. I have not been winded this year and have actually had 3 occasions when I was hunting on the ground and had deer as close as 4 yards and never get nervous.

Great stuff IMO.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:36 AM
Spike

Got the Base Slayers set for Christmas and used the first time with success. Took a doe with BP at 25 yds, with the slight wind blowing toward her. Never knew I was there. She came from an area I did not think she would, but whatever.

Stuff is pretty comfortable compared to the other ScentLok I have. Only issue I found is the top is a bit undersize compared to other garments, and I got the 2xl!

Quick Reply: Scent Lock

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.