Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS/Map Software

Old 12-01-2005, 06:01 PM

Default GPS/Map Software

After conducting a little research on map software that interacts with your GPS it appears Maptech seems pretty high on allot of folks lists. Just to ensure I'm reading opinions right I'd like to post this question on this forum as well as check to see ifanything new has arrived on the market that might have surpassed Maptech. Just for clarification, I'm looking for map software that can take the data from my GPS and impose it on a map i.e. tracks, routes of roads or trails that aren't already on a topo.

Appreciate any advice and/or recommendationson this topic.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:17 AM

Default RE: GPS/Map Software

I am not aware of any other software, but I do own Maptech's Terrain Navigator - simple to use, and pretty neat. Everyone who sees it in action has to get it.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:34 AM

With USAPhotoMaps, free from http://www.jdmcox.com/ , you can download free topo maps and aerial photos from Microsoft's free TerraServer Web site, then download and overlay your GPS waypoints, tracks, etc.

Jim
Old 12-07-2005, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

USAPhotomaps is the way to go. Its free and does what you need. www.JDMCox.com
Old 12-07-2005, 08:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

MD Piney

I am unaware of either of the two programs discussed here so far. I have both Magellan and Garmin machines and programs - the programs are not much - the program that I have found to be very satisfactory - real 7.5 maps is the Nationa Geograpghic set - unforunately it comes by state. But for the state if Idaho it is a great topo map set.

http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/

Terra Server - has both topo and photo, but the topo's are really not that good and the photo's are old mostly 1998 for my particular area.

I have been told that GOOGLE now has a very good photo program that you down load.