Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Two-Way Radios

Old 10-20-2005, 07:26 AM

Default RE: Two-Way Radios

Sorry to hear that about your radios. We've all had good success with the radios in our RINOs, especially on the GMRS freqs. I have 12 different FRS/GMRS radios and I'd say the RINOs work as good as any of the others. Let's face it, all these portable radios are very low power, but they DO work within limited ranges. I just like the convenience of having both the radio and GPS in one.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:25 AM

I ended up going with the Midland GXT500VP4. This is the value pack that includes five watt radios with a fourteen mile range. The set also includes chargers and headsets. I think I'll be happy with them. I'll let yall know after I use them in the fieldwhen deer season opens for me.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:51 PM

The rep from Sportsman's warehouse says that 14 mile range is B.S.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:22 PM

I'm not really expecting them to go that far. But I wanted to get the most powerful ones to get the most out of them.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:04 PM

I agree, I bought a rhino 110 when they first came out. I recently had to purchase another radio as the rhino just wasn't cutting it. It's a great GPS unit but the radio is weak. I actually called Garmin to see if they were having problems with these units and they told me to go to their website and download the latest software for it. Well, to update the software you have to have a pc interface cable which runs, I think like $40. For that price and not knowing if it would've fixed the problem I just bought some motorolas and so far they have been working great.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:38 PM

Based on this discussion, I bought some Midlands, with 14 mile range from Sportsman's Warehouse. I tried them in my neighborhood and ranch. Range was far less than 14 miles. Lucky to get 1 mile, and they kept cutting out. Worst radios I've ever had. Needless to say, they have been returned and I will never stray from Motorola again.