Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

scent killer spray: Does it work?

Old 09-22-2005, 10:42 AM

Default scent killer spray: Does it work?

Hey guys, I hope this hasn't already been debated a thousand times. I was just going through my hunting bags and ran across a bottle of "Scent Killer" Autumn Formula by Wildlife Research Center. I remember buying this spray last season but, apparently I forgot I had it because I never used it. Does anyone know if this stuff really works. I'd like some heads up befor I go and spray it on everything I own. I know a lot of people are going to recomment "Scent Lock" but thats just not an option for me right now. I bought this spray at Wal-Mart. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: scent killer spray: Does it work?

It depends a lot on how the bottle was stored , some degradation is to be expected . If it still has it's Autumn Formula smell then it can at least serve as a cover scent though it may no longer be effective in the odor elimination department . It's composition should also be considered , if it's a baking soda-peroxide mix , which a lot of the commercial ones are ,it's probably gone flat . Adding a small amount of peroxide and baking soda should revive it , don't forget to leave the cap loose at first until it settles down. A scent eliminator with an L-Serine neutralizer may still be good , but there's only one way to find out ...
Old 09-22-2005, 04:25 PM

I have been using scent killer autumn formula for a while now and really like it.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:34 PM

Thanks. The bottle has been inmy bag for a year now so, I'll prob. just pick up another one. Kevin you sure seem to know a lot about the subject. Do you use a spray or some type of scent lock? Cyberbuck do you spray it all over your clothing, equipment etc.. Do you spray it under your coveralls on your inner layer aswell. How long before going into the woods do you use it?
Old 09-26-2005, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

Save your money and keep buying the scent killer spray.I spray myself down with the autumn blend everytime I hunt. The last 2 deer I have killed have come from downwind and never spooked. Besides, I have heard a few comments about the scent suits only lasting for a few seasons, then the activated charcoal is no good. Not sure, but I do know that Scent Killer Spray works.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:42 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: cgeorge

Thanks. The bottle has been in my bag for a year now so, I'll prob. just pick up another one. Kevin you sure seem to know a lot about the subject. Do you use a spray or some type of scent lock?
Good choice , and yes , I wear an Army chemical protective suit once the weather cools enough . I go through a lot of scent neutralizer even when I don't wear them since I use pop-up blinds a lot , and a ground hunter has to be especially careful of scent . A little research can save you money . Most of the commercial scent neutralizers are no different than the peroxide/baking soda homebrew recipes you'll see here . The new silver based ones are just a colloidal silver solution which you can buy at some natural foods type stores , or you can build a colloidal silver generator for a few bucks and make your own . If silver works as well as advertised I may just build one .
Old 09-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

Even better than buying this Autumn scented stuff at 8 bucks a bottle, search for the homemade variety on this forum and make your own for about 50 cents.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Secret Recipe - for your enjoyment

12oz Peroxide
12oz Distilled or rainwater
1/4 cup Baking Soda
1 tsp unscented liquid soap (I use the stuff that's specifically mfg'ed for hunting).

Mix it up, and let it sit for a while in a jug(2-3 days)

Old 09-28-2005, 11:07 PM
Fork Horn

There should be an expiration date on the bottle. Mine has one.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

I think it works but it does not make up for good cleaning. I start by running a empty load with borax or baking soda then washing all my clothes in the same. I air dry them and then I place them in one of the vacume bags that you use on blankets. I also try and have some leaves from my lease to place in with them.
I do not put these on till I get to my lease and away from the truck. I also have snacks like apples that I eat and water. Works for me.
Good luck
Rick

Quick Reply: scent killer spray: Does it work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.